Old 02-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Mathias Gug

Default Server Team 20090210 meeting minutes

Hi Etienne,

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 05:53:54PM -0500, Etienne Goyer wrote:
> Mathias Gug wrote:
> > ==== Postfix and Dovecot integration ====
> >
> > ivoks gave a status of the dovecot/postfix integration planned for jaunty. The
> > goal is to have postfix use the dovecot lda, provide SASL authentication via
> > dovecot and use maildir as the default mail store. After some discussion it
> > was suggested to provide a different dovecot configuration file (dovecot-
> > postfix.conf) and modify dovecot's init script to use it if available instead
> > of the default configuration file.
>
> Maybe it should be toggled by a variable in /etc/default/postfix?

Configuring postfix from the package maintainer scripts is not a big
problem since the postconf command can be used to change postfix
configuration. The issue is how to handle dovecot configuration.

> While on the subject, instead of having Postfix deliver directly to
> Maildir, was using the Dovecot's deliver command considered? Doing so
> would allow the use of Sieve script to get the elusive server-side
> filtering functionality without resorting to procmail. On my own mail
> server, I use the following in main.cf:
>
> mailbox_command = /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -m "${EXTENSION}"

This is the plan: have postfix use the dovecot lda. There are also plans
to enable the managesieve daemon (in dovecot) by default. All of this
would be done by a new binary package: dovecot-postfix - part of the
dovecot source package.

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com

Old 02-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Andreas Hasenack

Old 02-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Ante Karamatic

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 10:14:12 +0000
Andreas Hasenack <andreas@canonical.com> wrote:

> I wasn't aware dovecot also had sieve. I thought only cyrus-imap had
> it.

Not olny that. It also supports sievemanage (sieved), so using a client
that supports sieve management, you can write server-side sieve scripts
inside your client. Only client we ship in Ubuntu, that supports that,
atm is kmail.

I would like to see roundcube as supported webmail client. For it,
there are patches that provide sievemanage integration. They are
unofficial atm, but they'll get integrated into roundcube once plugin
API is finished.

There are also plugins for squirrelmail and thunderbird. It's a shame
there's no action around sieve support for Evolution. With that, we
could provide even better integration of Ubuntu Desktop and Ubuntu
Server.