Old 01-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Jonathan Riddell

Default libmysqlclient16 to main

We'd like to get Amarok, the world's finest music player, back into
main. This needs libmysqlclient16, libmysqlclient16-dev and
mysql-server-data-5.1 (just some locale files) moved to main. I
believe that mysql is a problem for taking time for security updates,
are there implications of having just the client library in main?

Jonathan

Old 01-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Mathias Gug

Hi Jonathan,

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 01:42:53PM +0000, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> We'd like to get Amarok, the world's finest music player, back into
> main. This needs libmysqlclient16, libmysqlclient16-dev and
> mysql-server-data-5.1 (just some locale files) moved to main. I
> believe that mysql is a problem for taking time for security updates,
> are there implications of having just the client library in main?

IIUC amarok is using the embedded version of mysqld as it links with
libmysqld.a which is part of libmysqlclient16-dev. Getting amarok back
into main would effectively mean supporting the mysql daemon, not the mysql
client library.

I greatly appreciate the fact that the Kubuntu team is asking advice to
the Server team when making changes to the mysql package. Posting the
patches to this mailing list is the best way to proceed. However I'm
concerned about the QA done on the resulting packages. The last upload
produce a package that is *not* working in the main use case: running
MySQL as a service.

So in the future I'd like to make sure that the following test case
works before uploading a new package:

1. On a default ubuntu server system install mysql-server-5.1:
$ apt-get install mysql-server-5.1
2. Test that mysqld is running by connecting to it:
$ mysql -u root

The requirements brought by the Kubuntu team are stretching the current
use cases covered by mysql 5.{0,1} packages and we need to make sure all
of them are still working correctly. Getting in touch with the Server
team and sending the patches for review on the ubuntu-server mailing
list as the Kubuntu team did is the way to proceed.

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com