Old 01-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Dustin Kirkland

Default Call for testing screen-profiles

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Based on the comments on this thread, I have made a number of changes
to screen-profiles that I hope you find a bit better.

* I changed the default escape sequence back to ctrl-a, since this
matches most default expectations, and all of the documentation.

* I merged some functionality from Nick Barcet, which adds a page in
the helper menu (F9); here, you can easily change your escape sequence
to some other key; this is stored and loaded from your
~/.screenrc/keybindings file; this would be a good place to put any
additional customizations to your keybindings that you might prefer.

* We're not launching screen by default. This is a toggle, on a per
user basis, in the helper menu (F9)

* I did add a "Recommends: screen-profiles" to the screen package,
such that it gets installed on the server.

* At this point, it's still required that each user run
"select-screen-profile" and choose "ubuntu" to benefit from this
functionality. I would like to consider:
1. making screen *depend* on screen-profiles
2. moving the default /etc/screenrc installed by screen to something
like /etc/screenrc.plain
3. installing the ubuntu profile to /etc/screenrc such that all
Ubuntu screen users have the ubuntu screen profile by default
4. maintaining the ability to switch *back* to the plain profile
through select-screen-profile and the helper menu

Thoughts on the latter proposition?

:-Dustin

Old 01-23-2009, 08:53 PM
Michael Hipp

Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> * At this point, it's still required that each user run
> "select-screen-profile" and choose "ubuntu" to benefit from this
> functionality. I would like to consider:
> 1. making screen *depend* on screen-profiles
> 2. moving the default /etc/screenrc installed by screen to something
> like /etc/screenrc.plain
> 3. installing the ubuntu profile to /etc/screenrc such that all
> Ubuntu screen users have the ubuntu screen profile by default
> 4. maintaining the ability to switch *back* to the plain profile
> through select-screen-profile and the helper menu

Sounds ok to me.

Michael

Old 01-24-2009, 07:21 AM
Mark Schouten

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 11:38 -0600, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback so far!
>
> Based on the comments on this thread, I have made a number of changes
> to screen-profiles that I hope you find a bit better.

>SNIP<

Great! Thanks.

> * At this point, it's still required that each user run
> "select-screen-profile" and choose "ubuntu" to benefit from this
> functionality. I would like to consider:
> 1. making screen *depend* on screen-profiles
> 2. moving the default /etc/screenrc installed by screen to something
> like /etc/screenrc.plain
> 3. installing the ubuntu profile to /etc/screenrc such that all
> Ubuntu screen users have the ubuntu screen profile by default
> 4. maintaining the ability to switch *back* to the plain profile
> through select-screen-profile and the helper menu
>
> Thoughts on the latter proposition?

1: I have no objection to depending on screen-profiles.
2: It should not be necessary to change the screen-package. If you
include the plain-profile in the screen-profiles package, one can always
switch back.
3: Why not give an extra option when running select-screen-profile as
root, to install it system-wide? I would not like to see the
ubuntu-thingie as default.
4: See 2.

Great work, thanks!

btw: I do get an error when starting screen now.

/usr/share/screen-profiles/profiles/common: source /home/marks/.screenrc-keybindings: No such file or directory

--
Mark Schouten <mark@prevented.net>

Old 01-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Dustin Kirkland

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 2:21 AM, Mark Schouten <mark@prevented.net> wrote:
> /usr/share/screen-profiles/profiles/common: source /home/marks/.screenrc-keybindings: No such file or directory

Run select-screen-profile again, and select "ubuntu". It will touch
/home/marks/.screenrc-keybindings. This is a new feature. Or just
touch /home/marks/.screenrc-keybindings.

Chalk it up to the joys of a new package, and/or running Jaunty, our
development distribution. Sorry.

--
:-Dustin

Old 01-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Dustin Kirkland

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 2:21 AM, Mark Schouten <mark@prevented.net> wrote:
> 1: I have no objection to depending on screen-profiles.
> 2: It should not be necessary to change the screen-package. If you
> include the plain-profile in the screen-profiles package, one can always
> switch back.

Well, I'm not including the "plain" profile. I'm just symlink'ing to
it. I'd rather not include the "plain" profile, since screen provides
that, and upstream Debian, from time to time, makes
modifications/fixes to it.

> 3: Why not give an extra option when running select-screen-profile as
> root, to install it system-wide? I would not like to see the
> ubuntu-thingie as default.
> 4: See 2

Running things as root is generally avoid in Ubuntu.

We could handle it, through update-alternatives, (see
/etc/alternatives). I'll have a look at that.

:-Dustin

Old 01-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Mark Schouten

On Sat, 2009-01-24 at 14:20 -0600, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> > 3: Why not give an extra option when running select-screen-profile as
> > root, to install it system-wide? I would not like to see the
> > ubuntu-thingie as default.
> > 4: See 2
>
> Running things as root is generally avoid in Ubuntu.

Uh, sure. But some things need to be run as root. For example, when you
want to make setting-changes that effect every user.

> We could handle it, through update-alternatives, (see
> /etc/alternatives). I'll have a look at that.

That's a possibility as well, although I guess that's only meant for
binaries? (And, you must run it as root )

--
Mark Schouten <mark@prevented.net>

Old 01-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Dustin Kirkland

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Mark Schouten <mark@prevented.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-01-24 at 14:20 -0600, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
>> We could handle it, through update-alternatives, (see
>> /etc/alternatives). I'll have a look at that.
>
> That's a possibility as well, although I guess that's only meant for
> binaries? (And, you must run it as root )

Mostly... It's also used for manpages that have multiple versions.
ls your /etc/alternatives directory.

:-Dustin