Old 01-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Michael Hipp

Default Something like kickstart?

I have a friend who feels the lack of a kickstart-like ability to rapidly
install Ubuntu server from a preset configuration is a serious deficiency.

I don't use kickstart and therefore can't argue the point much.

Does Ubuntu server have something like kickstart?

Planned for the future?

Thanks,
Michael

Old 01-14-2009, 04:59 PM
"Matt Isaacs"

There are kickstart capabilities.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KickstartCompatibility

Old 01-14-2009, 05:02 PM
MJang

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 11:51 -0600, Michael Hipp wrote:
> I have a friend who feels the lack of a kickstart-like ability to rapidly
> install Ubuntu server from a preset configuration is a serious deficiency.
>
> I don't use kickstart and therefore can't argue the point much.
>
> Does Ubuntu server have something like kickstart?

Yup, Ubuntu server edition has it's own version of Red Hat's
system-config-kickstart tool, with a package of the same name. The
syntax and operation of the basic kickstart file is the same - but
Ubuntu has not (yet) incorporated all of the same capabilities (from
memory, Ubuntu does not yet include things like network authentication
and package group selection).

But beyond its limitations, it works fairly well.

(Warning: Shameless plug - for more information, see Chapter 3 of
www.amazon.com/Ubuntu-Administration-Network-Professionals-Library/dp/0071598928/ )

Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-14-2009, 05:04 PM
"James Dinkel"

I thought Ubuntu could use kickstart? Regardless, ubuntu does have
another method for automated installs, but I can't think of the name
at the moment.

On 1/14/09, Michael Hipp <Michael@hipp.com> wrote:
> I have a friend who feels the lack of a kickstart-like ability to rapidly
> install Ubuntu server from a preset configuration is a serious deficiency.
>
> I don't use kickstart and therefore can't argue the point much.
>
> Does Ubuntu server have something like kickstart?
>
> Planned for the future?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

Sent from my mobile device

Old 01-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Etienne Goyer

James Dinkel wrote:
> I thought Ubuntu could use kickstart? Regardless, ubuntu does have
> another method for automated installs, but I can't think of the name
> at the moment.

Preseeding is the native mechanism to automate the debian-installer
(used on the Ubuntu server CD, and when doing netboot installation).

--
Etienne Goyer, Senior Ubuntu System Support Analyst
Ubuntu Certified Instructor

Old 01-14-2009, 05:13 PM
"Matt Isaacs"

I believe the other method is pre-seeding.* Its how you get the different Ubuntu install flavors, and can be used to provide a customized install.

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:04 PM, James Dinkel <jdinkel@gmail.com> wrote:

I thought Ubuntu could use kickstart? *Regardless, ubuntu does have

another method for automated installs, but I can't think of the name

at the moment.

On 1/14/09, Michael Hipp <Michael@hipp.com> wrote:

> I have a friend who feels the lack of a kickstart-like ability to rapidly

> install Ubuntu server from a preset configuration is a serious deficiency.

> I don't use kickstart and therefore can't argue the point much.

> Does Ubuntu server have something like kickstart?

> Planned for the future?

> Thanks,

> Michael

Sent from my mobile device

Old 01-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Aaron Toponce

Michael Hipp wrote:
> Does Ubuntu server have something like kickstart?

It's called 'preseed'. Unfortunately, the documentation sucks, and the
implementation is horrible. Red Hat's kickstart is much more usable and
friendly, and it has vast amounts of docs out there on the web.
Kickstart isn't 100% implemented on Ubuntu (which means Ubuntu is
lacking a decent automated installer), but it's mostly there. Unless you
need RAID, LVM or a couple other things, it will work great.

--
,-O Aaron Toponce
O } Ubuntu Member

Old 01-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Ante Karamatic

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:03:04 -0700
Aaron Toponce <atoponce@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> It's called 'preseed'. Unfortunately, the documentation sucks, and the
> implementation is horrible. Red Hat's kickstart is much more usable

I would argue that preseeding is way more powerful than kickstart. It
has a flaw - it get's called too late in installer process, but that's
why, in Ubuntu, one can use kickstart for that first push.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Aaron Toponce

Ante Karamatic wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:03:04 -0700
> Aaron Toponce <atoponce@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
>> It's called 'preseed'. Unfortunately, the documentation sucks, and the
>> implementation is horrible. Red Hat's kickstart is much more usable
>
> I would argue that preseeding is way more powerful than kickstart. It
> has a flaw - it get's called too late in installer process, but that's
> why, in Ubuntu, one can use kickstart for that first push.

Power wasn't brought to question in my post, but usability and
documentation. AFAIK, there are no tools for building custom preseed
files, such as system-config-kickstart. This leaves the administrator to
build one from scratch by hand. The only way he can do this, is know
what exists in debconf, and how to use it's syntax. There is virtually
no documentation anywhere I can find to help him along his journey,
which leaves preseed much less attractive than kickstart.

--
,-O Aaron Toponce
O } Ubuntu Member

Old 01-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Aaron Toponce

Michael Hipp wrote:
> Does Ubuntu server have something like kickstart?

Actually, I was looking around to see if there was any new documentation
for preseed, and I stumbled on this:

http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/

In the Debian and Ubuntu repositories, good documentation and howtos.
Fully supports all type of installs that you can do with the Debian
installer. Seems to be a good replacement for kickstart and preseed.

Just a thought.

--
,-O Aaron Toponce
O } Ubuntu Member