Old 01-13-2009, 07:29 PM
"Greg Michalski"

Default Home file server - looking for ULTRA BASIC mail agent

I'm running 8.10 server as a home file and print server. I'm looking for
the most basic of mail transfer agents capable of handling the sending of
routine reports and status information scheduled through cron via email to
an account on my ISP and don't want or need a full fledged, resource hogging
mail server. Therefore during install I only selected Print server, Samba
File server and OpenSSH server (for headless administration). Now I'd like
to have the ability to have remote knowledge of some system stats when I'm
not around to SSH in and check on things myself. I don't need to receive
any emails on the server - only send things out.

Browsing through the Ubuntu packages list, sSMTP looks like a good solution.
Does anyone have experience with it and am I right in my interpretation of
the description here : http://www.linux.com/feature/132006 in reading that
it meets my needs stated above? It reads like it's very easy to setup and
in effect I only have a single user.

Any comments/suggestions/flaming appreciated.

Greg
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury,
and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt (Author)

www.distinctperspectives.com

Old 01-13-2009, 07:51 PM
Kees Cook

Hi Greg,

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 03:29:59PM -0500, Greg Michalski wrote:
> Any comments/suggestions/flaming appreciated.

I think "postfix" in its simplest form should do the trick. Otherwise,
maybe look at "msmtp", which isn't really a full MTA.

-Kees

--
Kees Cook
Ubuntu Security Team

Old 01-13-2009, 08:10 PM
"L.M.J"

Le Tue, 13 Jan 2009 15:29:59 -0500,
"Greg Michalski" <ubuntulists@distinctperspectives.com> a écrit :

> I'm running 8.10 server as a home file and print server. I'm looking for
> the most basic of mail transfer agents capable of handling the sending of
> routine reports and status information scheduled through cron via email to
> an account on my ISP and don't want or need a full fledged, resource hogging
> mail server.

Hi,

I will also go for Postfix : fast & efficient MTA. You could have a look to "exim" also or "qmail"

CU

Old 01-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Jorge Armando Medina

On Tuesday 13 January 2009 14:29:59 Greg Michalski wrote:
> I'm running 8.10 server as a home file and print server. I'm looking for
> the most basic of mail transfer agents capable of handling the sending of
> routine reports and status information scheduled through cron via email to
> an account on my ISP and don't want or need a full fledged, resource
> hogging mail server. Therefore during install I only selected Print
> server, Samba File server and OpenSSH server (for headless administration).
> Now I'd like to have the ability to have remote knowledge of some system
> stats when I'm not around to SSH in and check on things myself. I don't
> need to receive any emails on the server - only send things out.

I use postfix for that, sending throught gmail using SMTP-AUTH en SSL/TLS, I
have a howto about that (in spanish) that you use:

http://tuxjm.net/2008/11/26/postfix_como_enviar_correo_a_traves_de_un_servidor _externo_usando_sasl_y_tls/

> Browsing through the Ubuntu packages list, sSMTP looks like a good
> solution. Does anyone have experience with it and am I right in my
> interpretation of the description here :
> http://www.linux.com/feature/132006 in reading that it meets my needs
> stated above? It reads like it's very easy to setup and in effect I only
> have a single user.
>
> Any comments/suggestions/flaming appreciated.
>
> Greg
> "There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury,
> and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt (Author)
>
> www.distinctperspectives.com

--
Jorge Armando Medina
Computación Gráfica de México
Web: www.e-compugraf.com
Tel: 55 51 40 72
email: jmedina@e-compugraf.com
GPG Key: 1024D/28E40632 2007-07-26
GPG Fingerprint: 59E2 0C7C F128 B550 B3A6 *D3AF C574 8422 28E4 0632

Old 01-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Callan Davies

I installed 8.10 server from scratch last week. I have a grasp of how things are
supposed to work, but not really any knowledge of specifics such as which
configuration files control what, etc.

But, I followed the guide, and everything works perfectly thus far.

I stuck with the default Postfix for mail coming in, and Dovecot for checking
mail via IMAP or POP3.

The guide I used is here : https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/serverguide/C/index.html

Hope this helps :-)

Cheers
Callan

Old 01-13-2009, 10:55 PM
Karl Goetz

Old 01-13-2009, 11:02 PM
"Thomas Cross"

My friend just set up msmtp on his home server because our ISP blocks
a lot of Internet ports. But in the end its basically a relay from
gmail to his server; and from his server to gmail to the world.

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 5:55 PM, Karl Goetz <karl@kgoetz.id.au> wrote:

Thomas Cross
402.215.6461

Old 01-13-2009, 11:24 PM
"Jim Tarvid"

While postfix is downhill, I've used esmtp when I wanted less, much less.

root@venus:/home/tarvid/downloads# apt-cache show esmtp
Package: esmtp
Section: universe/mail
Installed-Size: 148

Maintainer: Ubuntu MOTU Developers <ubuntu-motu@lists.ubuntu.com>

Architecture: i386
Version: 0.6.0-1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.6.1-1), libesmtp5 (>= 0.8.8), debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0
Recommends: esmtp-run
Suggests: procmail | maildrop | deliver
Filename: pool/universe/e/esmtp/esmtp_0.6.0-1_i386.deb

Size: 40690
MD5sum: 02da26961c83f5e0750c9bbfe513224c
SHA1: f9c5e3b70dc6746bd6c2d7165479d03267c4cf98
SHA256: 3fe0d15d41f94f1caba1c02a89eb445d67d251050655de9ee2 0aba13f1c99cf0

*ESMTP is a user configurable relay-only Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) with a
*sendmail-compatible syntax. It's based on libESMTP supporting the AUTH
*(including the CRAM-MD5 and NTLM SASL mechanisms) and the StartTLS SMTP

*extensions.
*.
*ESMTP does not receive mail, expand aliases or manage a queue but can deliver
*mail locally via an MDA.
*.
*This package contains the esmtp program.
Bugs: mailto:ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Origin: Ubuntu

http://ls.net

http://drupal.ls.net

Old 01-13-2009, 11:29 PM
bvidinli

i suggest ehcp (Easy Hosting Control Panel for Ubuntu)
for all hosting and email needs...
lightweight and simple...

www.ehcp.net

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:35 AM, Jorge Armando Medina

Old 01-14-2009, 07:12 AM
Serge van Ginderachter

The most basic solution for simple mail relay would be, imho, 'nullmailer'. More simple in configuration than ssmtp.
Sometimes nullmailer doesn't cut it for me (e.g. when I want to forward root mail to different recipients), and then I fall back to postfix.

But if you just need some simple MTA which just forwards locally generated mail reports (typically by cron), nullmailer is really the most simple.
Be sure to read all the different man pages, though.

Serge

Serge van Ginderachter http://www.vanginderachter.be/

Kreeg u een "odt" bestand en kan u deze niet openen? Zie http://ginsys.be/odf