Old 12-28-2008, 07:32 AM
Mark Kirkwood

Default Installing Ubuntu server on software raid

I recently installed Ubuntu 8.10 x86 server. I ran into some problems
(started a thread on ubuntu-users that probably should have been sent
here, but only just discovered this list yesterday). The short version
of the two problems and associated workarounds is:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/311637
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/83231

For the first one I used the 'rescue broken system' on the install cd
and then removed the dmraid package, for the second I added
'/sbin/udevadm settle --timeout=10' to
/usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-premount/udev and rebuilt the ramfs.

With those out of the way we booted fine. The next thing I wanted to
redo my install, configuring the md arrays with a chunk size of 256K -
and discovered that there was no way I could see to do this in the
installer. I worked around this by booting a live cd from another linux
distro and setting up the arrays manually using mdadm (I think I could
have done this using the install cd's 'rescue broken system' mode, but
the live cd was a nicer environment).

So to the point of the message - have I missed an option on the install
cd : can you configure raid chunksize? (it only seemed to want to know
how many disks were to be in the array).

Best wishes

Mark

Old 12-29-2008, 06:50 AM
Ruben Laban

Hi Mark,

On Sunday 28 December 2008 at 09:32 (CET), Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> So to the point of the message - have I missed an option on the install
> cd : can you configure raid chunksize? (it only seemed to want to know
> how many disks were to be in the array).

As far as I know, the installer has no support for that (unless perhaps when
using the 'expert' mode which add *a lot* of questions during installation).
I tend to drop to a shell when I want to create "special" software raid setups
(like raid10 for example). From the shell (alt-f4) I manually run the
appropriate mdadm commands to configure the raid. Once the raid is
configured, the installer does pick up the raid volumes and
installation/partitioning can be continued using the installer.

HTH.
Ruben

Old 12-29-2008, 10:07 PM
Mark Kirkwood

Ruben Laban wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> On Sunday 28 December 2008 at 09:32 (CET), Mark Kirkwood wrote:
>
>> So to the point of the message - have I missed an option on the install
>> cd : can you configure raid chunksize? (it only seemed to want to know
>> how many disks were to be in the array).
>>

> As far as I know, the installer has no support for that (unless perhaps when
> using the 'expert' mode which add *a lot* of questions during installation).
> I tend to drop to a shell when I want to create "special" software raid setups
> (like raid10 for example). From the shell (alt-f4) I manually run the
> appropriate mdadm commands to configure the raid. Once the raid is
> configured, the installer does pick up the raid volumes and
> installation/partitioning can be continued using the installer.

Thanks! However it seems to me that a nice addition would be an option
for chunksize - after all it asks you how many disks are in the array,
and chunksize is probably the next most likely thing you would want to
specify.

Overall I think the partitioner is very good, and pleasant to use (I got
to play with it about 4-6 times whilst diagnosing the software raid boot
problems I was having...).

regards

Mark