Old 11-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Aaron Toponce

Default kickstart installation

Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Hi
>
> is there a step by step guide to install Ubuntu Server 8.04 using kickstart
> installation.
>
> Any pointers ???

Install system-config-kickstart- a GUI for creating kickstart files.
However, kickstart in Ubuntu doesn't support RAID or LVM. I think
everything else works out of the box though.

--
,-O Aaron Toponce
O } Ubuntu Member

Old 11-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Etienne Goyer

Aaron Toponce wrote:
> Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> is there a step by step guide to install Ubuntu Server 8.04 using kickstart
>> installation.
>>
>> Any pointers ???
>
> Install system-config-kickstart- a GUI for creating kickstart files.
> However, kickstart in Ubuntu doesn't support RAID or LVM. I think
> everything else works out of the box though.

Other stuff not supported by Ubuntu's implementation of Kickstart:

- PAM/NSS configuration for network directory service (authconf stuff)
- LILO bootloader configuration (but who would want that?)
- Upgrade (not relevant in Ubuntu case; we upgrade in-place using apt)
- Partitioning:
o Partitioning limited to a single disk
o Checking a disk for bad sectors
o RAID/LVM, as you explained
- Driver disk support
- No "device" command to specify additional kernel module
- Installing from NFS or local hard disk
- Package exclusion in the %packages section

... And a few other less relevant tidbits.

Thanks to nijaba for the above info.

--
Etienne Goyer, Senior Ubuntu System Support Analyst
Ubuntu Certified Instructor

Old 11-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Aaron Toponce

Etienne Goyer wrote:
> Other stuff not supported by Ubuntu's implementation of Kickstart:
>
> - PAM/NSS configuration for network directory service (authconf stuff)
> - LILO bootloader configuration (but who would want that?)
> - Upgrade (not relevant in Ubuntu case; we upgrade in-place using apt)
> - Partitioning:
> o Partitioning limited to a single disk
> o Checking a disk for bad sectors
> o RAID/LVM, as you explained
> - Driver disk support
> - No "device" command to specify additional kernel module
> - Installing from NFS or local hard disk
> - Package exclusion in the %packages section
>
> ... And a few other less relevant tidbits.

Luckily, Preseed is an option. Too bad the documentation on it is
severely lacking.

--
,-O Aaron Toponce
O } Ubuntu Member

Old 11-27-2008, 04:35 PM
Dave Walker

Etienne Goyer wrote:
> A<SNIP>
>
> Other stuff not supported by Ubuntu's implementation of Kickstart:
>
> - PAM/NSS configuration for network directory service (authconf stuff)
> - LILO bootloader configuration (but who would want that?)
> - Upgrade (not relevant in Ubuntu case; we upgrade in-place using apt)
> - Partitioning:
> o Partitioning limited to a single disk
> o Checking a disk for bad sectors
> o RAID/LVM, as you explained
> - Driver disk support
> - No "device" command to specify additional kernel module
> - Installing from NFS or local hard disk
> - Package exclusion in the %packages section
>
> ... And a few other less relevant tidbits.
>

> Thanks to nijaba for the above info.

Interestingly, I recently had to use kickstart to setup DHCP networking,
before a deb preseed file could be pulled from HTTP - and installation
from a deb preseed file continued.

I guess this a bug i should have reported. Have other people found the
same thing?

Kind Regards,
Dave Walker