Old 11-12-2008, 12:08 AM
jim

Default hard to find info about init

running unbuntu-server 8.04, edited
/etc/network/interfaces to force eth0
to run in static mode as 192.168.1.60
on a LAN front-ended by a linksys router.
works fine for a while, then can't
ssh in. go to the console, ifconfig
shows the box is 192.168.1.101 thanks
to dhclient3.

...skipping story of grief and curses...

finally just
# kill -15 <PID_OF_dhclient3>

all seems to be well, confidence is
up until the next box reboot. i know
that init will kick off dhclient3 and
i'll have manually to kill it (or just
slightly less inelegantly run some
kind of cron job or /etc/rc.local call
or some such.
NO: i wanna know how to tell init
not to kick off dhclient3.
but i can't find where init gets
its marching orders:
not apparent in /etc/default/
nor in /etc/init.d/*
nor in /etc/event.d/*
and there is no /etc/inittab
amd search as i might, even mighty
google doesn't return or yield anything
that helps me learn how to configure
the init process.

i wanna know, please, and will be
grateful to the personnages who clue
me in.

with thanks,
jim

Old 11-12-2008, 12:16 AM
Tiago 'gouki' Faria

Hi Jim,

I would recommended installing rcconfig or sysvconfig. Both these
applications will provide an ncurses-based interface to edit services.

They're both available on the repositories.

Regards,

Tiago

--
_
,--(_)

Old 11-12-2008, 01:07 AM
jim

thank you, tiago.
what i'm looking for is information, a web
page or a book or something, that explains how
the init process is controlled on ubuntu server,
something akin to classic unix documentation
about the /etc/inittab file.
my hope is to read and learn how to
control the behavior of the init process at
boot time and also as it runs as a daemon
manager.
the essential question is "what files are
used to configure the init process?" it's
surprising how difficult it is to get an
answer anywhere, given how fundamental init
is to the operating system.
jim

Old 11-12-2008, 01:26 AM
"Joao Inacio"

on a LAN front-ended by a linksys router.

* works fine for a while, then can't

ssh in. go to the console, ifconfig

shows the box is 192.168.1.101 thanks

to dhclient3.

...skipping story of grief and curses...

* finally just

# kill -15 <PID_OF_dhclient3>

First and foremost, the behaviour you are describing can only be considered as a bug, so have you reported it yet on launchpad?
Maybe you can also get some more insight of what exactly is causing that issue, and why...

--
Joao Inacio

Old 11-12-2008, 01:30 AM
"DULMANDAKH Sukhbaatar"

man 5 interfaces to see how to configure static interface. there you
can fine some good examples.

you need to install ssh-server to ssh into it.

--
Regards
Dulmandakh

Old 11-12-2008, 01:31 AM
John Pugh

jim wrote:
> thank you, tiago.
> what i'm looking for is information, a web
> page or a book or something, that explains how
> the init process is controlled on ubuntu server,
> something akin to classic unix documentation
> about the /etc/inittab file.
> my hope is to read and learn how to
> control the behavior of the init process at
> boot time and also as it runs as a daemon
> manager.
> the essential question is "what files are
> used to configure the init process?" it's
> surprising how difficult it is to get an
> answer anywhere, given how fundamental init
> is to the operating system.
> jim

You may wish to review docs related to upstart as this is used in lieu
of the traditional /sbin/init daemon now.

http://upstart.ubuntu.com/ is the main page and most of the details can
be found on the wiki - http://upstart.ubuntu.com/wiki/

Enjoy.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:04 AM
jim

i didn't know about launchpad. i'll try
to find out how to file a bug.
but where to find information about how
the init process works, notably what files
does it reference? it seems there should be
some easy-to-find source of such info about
this fundamental system feature.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:10 AM
jim

thank you, dulmandakh. it happens that i did
look at the interfaces man page. it's got a lot
of useful info, though nothing that gives me a
clue about the dhclient3 process or the init
process.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:14 AM
jim

thank you, john.
i looked at the upstart page. my ubuntu
server (8.04) system doesn't have upstart
on it; the ps command shows init as
process number 1.
so i'm still looking for information
about the init process: what files does it
reference as it comes up and as it runs?
how to configure init?

Old 11-12-2008, 02:27 AM
MJang

On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 19:14 -0800, jim wrote:
> thank you, john.
> i looked at the upstart page. my ubuntu
> server (8.04) system doesn't have upstart
> on it; the ps command shows init as
> process number 1.
> so i'm still looking for information
> about the init process: what files does it
> reference as it comes up and as it runs?
> how to configure init?

Dear Jim,

I think John pointed you to that page, here:
> > http://upstart.ubuntu.com/ is the main page and most of the details can
> > be found on the wiki - http://upstart.ubuntu.com/wiki/

While the "init" process still exists, it is part of the Upstart system.

In essence, the files "referenced" by init are in the /etc/event.d/
directory. Most of these are scripts - groups of commands executed under
conditions implied in each file - or by the name of the file, such as
control-alt-delete.

Under the Upstart system, configuring "init" means configuring these
files.

Thanks,
Mike