Old 11-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Liraz Siri

Default TurnKey under the hood in relation to Ubuntu/Ubuntu Server

Hi Fredrik!

> My name is Fredrik Jonsson, and I am a Ubuntu Server Team Member, focusing on automated deployments and central management.
> First of all I what to give you cheers and respect for you work! Based on the things I saw on you website, it looks really cool! Good stuff!

Thanks for checking us out, and thanks for the kind encouragement!

> I am very curious about the deployment central management capabilities for Turnkey. Since you have based it on Ubuntu, you should
> have native seed capability? What operating system does Turnkey identifiy itself as? Does it report itself as Turnkey or Ubuntu?
> What reposiorys are beeing used? The Ubuntu ones or do you have your own? In case Turnkey is reporting itself as a Ubuntu distrubution,
> and uses the Ubuntu repositorys, perhaps it whould be possible to manage it with Landscape for instance.

First, feel free to download any of our appliances and explore them
at depth.

I'm not entirely sure I know what you mean by "native seed" capability,
but I'll assume you mean seeding d-i during installation...

OK, let me try and answer your questions one by one:

1) we haven't payed much attention to central deployment of TurnKey
appliances.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the use case for actively supporting that
is a bit weaker on our side since our appliances aren't general
purpose platforms like Ubuntu Server. I believe at this point people
are mostly using TurnKey appliances for demonstration purposes,
testing and one-off deployment.

I'm not confident I know how this works in Ubuntu Server, but keep in
mind that our appliances run live and we use our own installer
(di-live) to support that usage scenario. In other words, the
installation process is a bit different and I'm thinking in terms of
central deployment and seeding and such is probably a bit weaker...

Under the hood, at this point our TurnKey appliances probably have
more in common with Ubuntu desktop than Ubuntu server, despite being
focused on more server oriented tasks because:

- we run live
- our installer runs live
- we use the Ubuntu desktop kernels, not the Ubuntu server kernels

2) All current TurnKey appliances identify themselves as vanilla
Ubuntu::

# cat /etc/issue
Ubuntu 8.04.1

# cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=8.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=hardy
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 8.04.1"

3) We are using standard Ubuntu repositories supplemented with our
own repository for updates to custom packages::

# cat /etc/apt/sources.list |grep ^deb
deb http://archive.turnkeylinux.org/ubuntu hardy main
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy main
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security main
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-updates main

You can read more about the custom packages on our development wiki:

http://wiki.turnkeylinux.org/Custom_packages

4) I believe it should be possible to manage TurnKey appliances with
Landscape.

So you see, under the hood TurnKey appliances, are... by design... just
optimized versions of Ubuntu. We've made a conscious effort to try and
keep divergence to the minimum while still achieving our objectives.

> Just some thought from my side, and I whould be happy to help you guys if you need any help from my side regarding automated deployments or central management!

Thanks Fredrik! In your experience, what would be involved in improving
the support for central deployment/management? Just off the top of my
head it would be neat to have access to Landscape for
testing/development purposes! We've read a bit about Landscape on the
web, but we haven't had a chance to see it in action yet.

Anyhow, its still a bit early in the game, but we do realize that for
some types of users using TurnKey without commercial support is not a
viable option. Our projects motto is "everything that can be easy should
be easy" and I think support options will eventually be included in that
scope.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Cheers,
Liraz

Website: http://www.turnkeylinux.org/
Launchpad: https://launchpad.net/~liraz-siri

Old 11-16-2008, 02:24 AM
Jamu Kakar

Hi Liraz,

Liraz Siri wrote:
> Thanks Fredrik! In your experience, what would be involved in improving
> the support for central deployment/management? Just off the top of my
> head it would be neat to have access to Landscape for
> testing/development purposes! We've read a bit about Landscape on the
> web, but we haven't had a chance to see it in action yet.

You can sign up for a free trial of Landscape at:

http://www.canonical.com/landscape/register

We're always interested in feedback about how to make Landscape more
useful. Please feel free to sign up for an account and use the
'Feedback' link to let us know what you think. If you have
questions, please ask (I'm one of the Landscape developers) and I'd
be happy to provide answers.

Thanks,
J.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:42 AM
Liraz Siri

Thanks, I signed up for the free trial, but I am noticing it is limited
to 60 days. For our purposes (I.e., testing/development for integration
with turnkey linux appliances) would it be possible to wave the time limit?

Cheers,
Liraz