Old 12-12-2007, 05:38 PM
"Michael R. Head"

Default Two ethernet ports

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 11:39 -0500, David Abrahams wrote:
> So my server's mobo came with two ethernet ports. Can I take
> advantage of them somehow (other than by switching when one breaks --
> see the thread on forcedeth problems)?

Depends on what you want to do. If you want to connect it to another
server with two ethernet ports at double the speed, you can do do
"channel bonding."

If you want to make a private network, you can use it in a NAT+DHCP
configuration and connect other machines to the secondary port.

If you want to run VMWare or some other virtualization manager, you
_should_ be able to dedicate the second port to a VM instance and
achieve better instance isolation.

--
Michael R. Head <burner@suppressingfire.org>
http://picasaweb.google.com/demiri.head.wedding

Old 12-12-2007, 07:03 PM
Dave Kempe

You can setup a bond0 interface that makes the two members. There are
many bonding setups you can choose from. Bonding.txt that comes with the
kernel source for your kernel is pretty good.
Here is the latest one:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.23.y.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/networking/bonding.txt;h=8d8b4e5ea184a26da6bfab62bed0f796ce16 679a;hb=8fad6939af311a8be5785d41531baa5a6918f833

The failover/redundant modes will probably help for the cable coming
unplugged or the switch going down, but won't help in your forcedeth
'death' problem.

The bonding drive is quite flexible, so you can bond together two
network interfaces that are pretty disparate as well if you are crazy
enough.

thanks

dave