Old 10-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Michael Hipp

Default Intrepid repos, my box can't get there

I can't seem to access the Intrepid repos very well.

When I do apt-get update it stalls for ages and eventually dies with stuff like
this:

W: Failed to fetch
http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/intrepid/multiverse/source/Sources.gz
Connection failed [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]

If I try that file with wget it fails with this:

$ wget
http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/intrepid/multiverse/source/Sources.gz
--2008-10-24 10:10:45--
http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/intrepid/multiverse/source/Sources.gz
Resolving us.archive.ubuntu.com... 91.189.88.45, 91.189.88.46, 91.189.88.31
Connecting to us.archive.ubuntu.com|91.189.88.45|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... Read error (Connection timed out) in
headers.
Retrying.

When I go to the Dapper box setting beside it all these things work fine. I can
connect to those web sites from the browser on my desktop and reach them fine.

Doing traceroute on the two machines to us.archive.ubuntu.com looks identical
(appears both of them end up at leningradskaya.canonical.com).

I have an Intrepid machine at another site that has no problems reaching the repos.

I've had this problem with every Intrepid machine I've tried at this particular
site. But not other release or other sites. Can anyone give me some ideas of
how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks,
Michael Hipp

Old 10-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Michael Hipp

Michael Hipp wrote:
> I can't seem to access the Intrepid repos very well.
>
> When I do apt-get update it stalls for ages and eventually dies with stuff like
> this:
>
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/intrepid/multiverse/source/Sources.gz
> Connection failed [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]
>
> If I try that file with wget it fails with this:
>
> $ wget
> http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/intrepid/multiverse/source/Sources.gz
> --2008-10-24 10:10:45--
> http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/intrepid/multiverse/source/Sources.gz
> Resolving us.archive.ubuntu.com... 91.189.88.45, 91.189.88.46, 91.189.88.31
> Connecting to us.archive.ubuntu.com|91.189.88.45|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... Read error (Connection timed out) in
> headers.
> Retrying.
>
> When I go to the Dapper box setting beside it all these things work fine. I can
> connect to those web sites from the browser on my desktop and reach them fine.
>
> Doing traceroute on the two machines to us.archive.ubuntu.com looks identical
> (appears both of them end up at leningradskaya.canonical.com).
>
> I have an Intrepid machine at another site that has no problems reaching the repos.
>
> I've had this problem with every Intrepid machine I've tried at this particular
> site. But not other release or other sites. Can anyone give me some ideas of
> how to troubleshoot this?

Well after much searching eventually found a solution/workaround here:

Appears there's a kernel patch from about a day ago that's intended to offer a
fix at some point but unknown if it will make it into final.

Thanks to all those that replied privately and tried to help.

Michael