Old 10-15-2008, 07:21 AM
Andreas Olsson

Default Intrepid, ip6-localhost, /etc/hosts

It seems as if the standard /etc/hosts in Intrepid defines ::1 a bit differently
then it has been before.

In Hardy /etc/hosts says
::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback

In Intrepid it is instead
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback

I have no idea which method is the most correct one. But I know the difference
seems to matter.

At my workstation at home I like to tell Apache to "Listen localhost:80"
(This I do in ports.conf)

In intrepid that results in the following error

root@hawat:/etc/apache2# /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
* Restarting web server apache2
... waiting (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind to address
127.0.0.1:80
Unable to open logs

This error don't happen if I instead use "Listen 127.0.0.1:80".

If I change my /etc/hosts back to Hardy-style
(::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback) I can use "Listen localhost:80" in Apache
without any problems.

In my case this isn't really much of an issue. I'm just worried it might break
something else or that it might confuse others.

I guess I should file a bug report. I'm just not sure where. Is this an Apache
issue or is it a more general matter?

--
Andreas Olsson
http://www.andreasolsson.se/