Old 10-15-2008, 03:39 AM
Onno Benschop

Default Migrating samba from peer-to-peer to pdc

Hiya, never done this, so I thought I'd ask before I break some stuff
seriously.

It is possible that I'm asking a really stupid question(TM), but I hope
that you'll tell me if that's the case...

I have a Ubuntu server in production that is running samba without
domain logons. All users are connected as guests. I want to migrate to
it being a domain server, but I don't want to break everything
immediately...

I want to turn domain logons on, but before I do, will this kill all the
clients, require accounts or any such major impact, or can I just turn
it on and the clients will be able to connect as they have as a guest?

Where might I locate a process that will allow me to migrate from this
essentially peer-to-peer environment into one where the server is a pdc?

I've found plenty of documents that talk about the process in a new
network, but I cannot afford to bring down all the work-stations and
create accounts and distribute passwords on day one.

By way of background, I'm wanting to enable the server as a PDC which
will allow me to run automatic logon scripts that do some smart stuff
with running a hardware audit (with msinfo32) and then starting to
synchronise and standardise the workstations by moving the documents
stored locally onto the server. This is part of a bigger process that
eventually will see everyone with a Ubuntu workstation, but I cannot do
that overnight.

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S3154'06" - E11550'39" (Yokine, WA)
--
()/)/)() ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>? ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. --- ..Morse for Onno..

ITmaze - ABN: 56 178 057 063 - ph: 04 1219 8888 - onno@itmaze.com.au

Old 10-15-2008, 06:51 AM
Thierry Carrez

Onno Benschop wrote:

> I have a Ubuntu server in production that is running samba without
> domain logons. All users are connected as guests. I want to migrate to
> it being a domain server, but I don't want to break everything
> immediately...
>
> I want to turn domain logons on, but before I do, will this kill all the
> clients, require accounts or any such major impact, or can I just turn
> it on and the clients will be able to connect as they have as a guest?

It should work... Though as for all things Microsoft, I'd test the
migration on a replicated environment to make sure everything should
behave normally. I wouldn't just hit the button and pray I had
everything right the first time. I wouldn't blindly trust anyone telling
me how he did it either.

Also try to get in your test environment a mix of clients that
represents what you have in production, as it could well still work for
Windows XP and break for Windows Vista.

The beast being known to behave differently on subtly different
configurations, this test environment won't give you 100% confidence
that it will work, but at least you'll have done your best ensuring it
should.

--
Thierry Carrez
Ubuntu server team || Canonical Ltd.