FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Server Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Michael Hipp
 
Default Anyone able to run Intrepid server?

Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 8:28 AM, Michael Hipp <Michael@hipp.com> wrote:
>> I've tried twice now to install Intrepid server on 2 different systems. Once a
>> couple of weeks ago, most recently on the 9/30 daily build.
>>
>> In both cases the install seems to proceed fine but it won't boot.
>>
>> This most recent case (9/30 build) is on a Dell PowerEdge 600SC with a pair of
>> 36G SCSI drives. Upon boot it drops to BusyBox saying /dev/md0 does not exist.
>>
>> I typed 'exit' at the BusyBox prompt and it proceeded to boot normally. The md
>> devices show normal. But upon next reboot it again lands in BusyBox.
>>
>> My disk layout:
>> mdo: /
>> md1: <swap>
>> md2: /home
>>
>> The md devices are RAID1.
>
>
> I just tested this scenario as closely as I could in a KVM and could
> not reproduce your problem. Here is the output of a few commands that
> I will need you to send me:

Dustin, thanks for whatever help you can offer. I believe I got it all. Note
that my fdisk is a bit more persnickety than yours :-)

Note that I entered these commands *after* I had fully booted (beyond the
BusyBox shell). Whatever problem is plaguing md0 may not be showing by that time.


root@lydia:~# fdisk /dev/sd?

Usage: fdisk [-b SSZ] [-u] DISK Change partition table
fdisk -l [-b SSZ] [-u] DISK List partition table(s)
fdisk -s PARTITION Give partition size(s) in blocks
fdisk -v Give fdisk version
Here DISK is something like /dev/hdb or /dev/sda
and PARTITION is something like /dev/hda7
-u: give Start and End in sector (instead of cylinder) units
-b 2048: (for certain MO disks) use 2048-byte sectors
root@lydia:~# fdisk -l /dev/sd?

Disk /dev/sda: 36.4 GB, 36420075008 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4427 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000080

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 486 3903763+ fd Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda2 487 729 1951897+ fd Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda3 730 4427 29704185 fd Linux raid autodetect

Disk /dev/sdb: 36.7 GB, 36748945408 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4467 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000d6c1e

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 * 1 486 3903763+ fd Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sdb2 487 729 1951897+ fd Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sdb3 730 4467 30025485 fd Linux raid autodetect
root@lydia:~# mount | grep md
/dev/md0 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime,relatime,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/md2 on /home type ext3 (rw,noatime,relatime)
root@lydia:~# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
[raid10]
md2 : active raid1 sda3[0] sdb3[1]
29704064 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md1 : active raid1 sda2[0] sdb2[1]
1951808 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md0 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdb1[1]
3903680 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>


root@lydia:~# mdadm --detail /dev/md0
/dev/md0:
Version : 00.90
Creation Time : Mon Jun 30 18:13:39 2008
Raid Level : raid1
Array Size : 3903680 (3.72 GiB 4.00 GB)
Used Dev Size : 3903680 (3.72 GiB 4.00 GB)
Raid Devices : 2
Total Devices : 2
Preferred Minor : 0
Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Thu Oct 2 10:32:03 2008
State : clean
Active Devices : 2
Working Devices : 2
Failed Devices : 0
Spare Devices : 0

UUID : a3142778:1ca5efa3:324da5f3:a4ba7e39
Events : 0.8

Number Major Minor RaidDevice State
0 8 1 0 active sync /dev/sda1
1 8 17 1 active sync /dev/sdb1
root@lydia:~# mdadm --detail /dev/md1
/dev/md1:
Version : 00.90
Creation Time : Mon Jun 30 18:13:49 2008
Raid Level : raid1
Array Size : 1951808 (1906.38 MiB 1998.65 MB)
Used Dev Size : 1951808 (1906.38 MiB 1998.65 MB)
Raid Devices : 2
Total Devices : 2
Preferred Minor : 1
Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Tue Sep 30 12:34:01 2008
State : clean
Active Devices : 2
Working Devices : 2
Failed Devices : 0
Spare Devices : 0

UUID : 74a47fae:c90d8e97:b3c7d20d:0520d7be
Events : 0.8

Number Major Minor RaidDevice State
0 8 2 0 active sync /dev/sda2
1 8 18 1 active sync /dev/sdb2
root@lydia:~# mdadm --detail /dev/md2
/dev/md2:
Version : 00.90
Creation Time : Mon Jun 30 18:15:28 2008
Raid Level : raid1
Array Size : 29704064 (28.33 GiB 30.42 GB)
Used Dev Size : 29704064 (28.33 GiB 30.42 GB)
Raid Devices : 2
Total Devices : 2
Preferred Minor : 2
Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Thu Oct 2 07:29:25 2008
State : clean
Active Devices : 2
Working Devices : 2
Failed Devices : 0
Spare Devices : 0

UUID : 52f62182:65559238:ff044d56:7b3fcbec
Events : 0.10

Number Major Minor RaidDevice State
0 8 3 0 active sync /dev/sda3
1 8 19 1 active sync /dev/sdb3


Michael

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 10-03-2008, 11:54 PM
Michael Hipp
 
Default Anyone able to run Intrepid server?

Michael Hipp wrote:
> Dustin Kirkland wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 8:28 AM, Michael Hipp <Michael@hipp.com> wrote:
>>> I've tried twice now to install Intrepid server on 2 different systems. Once a
>>> couple of weeks ago, most recently on the 9/30 daily build.
>>>
>>> In both cases the install seems to proceed fine but it won't boot.
>>>
>>> This most recent case (9/30 build) is on a Dell PowerEdge 600SC with a pair of
>>> 36G SCSI drives. Upon boot it drops to BusyBox saying /dev/md0 does not exist.
>>>
>>> I typed 'exit' at the BusyBox prompt and it proceeded to boot normally. The md
>>> devices show normal. But upon next reboot it again lands in BusyBox.
>>>
>>> My disk layout:
>>> mdo: /
>>> md1: <swap>
>>> md2: /home
>>>
>>> The md devices are RAID1.

I downloaded the beta iso and tried again. Deleted all the partitions and
rebuilt them from scratch (this time eliminating the separate /home partition
for brevity's sake). Same result. Boots straight to BusyBox, upon which an
'exit' command causes it to boot normally.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 10-04-2008, 05:07 AM
"Dustin Kirkland"
 
Default Anyone able to run Intrepid server?

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Michael Hipp <Michael@hipp.com> wrote:
> I downloaded the beta iso and tried again. Deleted all the partitions and
> rebuilt them from scratch (this time eliminating the separate /home
> partition for brevity's sake). Same result. Boots straight to BusyBox, upon
> which an 'exit' command causes it to boot normally.

Please open a bug in Launchpad against initramfs-tools and mdadm.
This should be handled there.

Please capture any messages logged before the busybox prompt and
attach them to the bug.

:-Dustin

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 10-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Michael Hipp
 
Default Anyone able to run Intrepid server?

Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Michael Hipp <Michael@hipp.com> wrote:
>> I downloaded the beta iso and tried again. Deleted all the partitions and
>> rebuilt them from scratch (this time eliminating the separate /home
>> partition for brevity's sake). Same result. Boots straight to BusyBox, upon
>> which an 'exit' command causes it to boot normally.
>
> Please open a bug in Launchpad

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/278176

> against initramfs-tools and mdadm.

I can't find any way to flag a bug as affecting more than one package. How is
this done? I put it against initramfs-tools.

Thanks,
Michael

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 10-04-2008, 11:56 PM
"Dustin Kirkland"
 
Default Anyone able to run Intrepid server?

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Michael Hipp <Michael@hipp.com> wrote:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/initramfs-tools/+bug/278176

Thanks.

> > against initramfs-tools and mdadm.
>
> I can't find any way to flag a bug as affecting more than one package. How is
> this done? I put it against initramfs-tools.

Click "also affects distribution", leave the distribution as "Ubuntu",
change the package to "mdadm".

As I determine which of the two packages are the culprit, I'll close
one as "Invalid", and "Confirm" the other.

I will try to put my hands on some real hardware with multiple hard drives.

:-Dustin

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 10-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Michael Hipp
 
Default Anyone able to run Intrepid server?

Dustin Kirkland wrote:
>> I can't find any way to flag a bug as affecting more than one package. How is
>> this done? I put it against initramfs-tools.
>
> Click "also affects distribution", leave the distribution as "Ubuntu",
> change the package to "mdadm".

Thanks. Done.

> I will try to put my hands on some real hardware with multiple hard drives.

I plan to try it on a completely different hardware setup also. Perhaps this
afternoon or Monday AM.

Michael

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:50 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org