Old 10-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Serge van Ginderachter

Default nice summary on what Ubuntu needs for small businesses

Just FYI, we discussed some things needed to market Ubuntu Server into Small Businesses,
I thought this article sums it nicely.

http://www.workswithu.com/2008/09/30/ubuntu-not-a-small-business-server-replacement-yet/

Serge

Serge van Ginderachter http://www.vanginderachter.be/

Kreeg u een "odt" bestand en kan u deze niet openen? Zie http://ginsys.be/odf

Old 10-01-2008, 10:43 PM
"Thomas Maleshafske"

*
Just FYI, we discussed some things needed to market Ubuntu Server into Small Businesses,
I thought this article sums it nicely.

http://www.workswithu.com/2008/09/30/ubuntu-not-a-small-business-server-replacement-yet/

* * * *Serge

*Serge van Ginderachter * * * * *http://www.vanginderachter.be/

*Kreeg u een "odt" bestand en kan u deze niet openen? Zie http://ginsys.be/odf

*

An admin perspective:
*
The ground work is already there for small business.* Ebox provides all of the components that a small business needs In order to be successful.* What it does lack is documentation in order to successfully implement it, and some work on the LDAP.* In my opinion Ebox offers alot more than other distro's that are customed tailored to the small business enviroment such as Clark's Connect and SME, I* have used both.* As I stated before Documentation, Documentation, Documentation.* This will allow the average person to be able to successfully implement it in there enviroment.* Some of the other things I have noticed with ebox is the printer module needs some help.* Example I have a brothers printer that has debian based drivers,* The install of the drivers is straight forward via the brothers website, but the new driver never populates in ebox allowing me to use it to configure the printer.* One of the other downside I have noticed is there is no easy way of viewing client leases with the dhcp server modules.* DNS is extremely straigh forward an in the intranet envoriment doesn't require you to use the FQDN, but just the hostname which is a nice feature that is realtive to a windows enviroment.*

*
V/R
Thomas E. Maleshafske
tmaleshafske@maleshafske.com
Helping People*take*Control Over Their Computers!
http://www.maleshafske.com
http://www.skishosting.com

Old 10-18-2008, 01:57 PM
Mark Pavlichuk

> An admin perspective:
>
> The ground work is already there for small business. Ebox provides all of
> the components that a small business needs In order to be successful. What
> it does lack is documentation in order to successfully implement it, and
> some work on the LDAP.
<snip...>

> V/R
> Thomas E. Maleshafske

I've been looking at the sysadmin GUI issue on Debian Lenny. I've been
experimenting with GOsa because it scales to very large installations, and
has plugins for lots of services. I've written documentation to at least get
simple services up and running (ie. posix accounts, DNS, DHCP, Samba) and
instructions on how to integrate groupware (SOGo - Scalable OpenGroupware).
I've also written documentation to install Kolab + Horde, but I haven't yet
tried to integrate GOsa with Kolab even though apparently GOsa has extra
functionality to facilitate this.

I've realised this problem is probably too big for me to do well, which is
why I found this group. The documentation I've written is aimed at Debian
Lenny, and is sometimes a little out of date but can be found here :
http://wfstt.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/wfstt/trunk/
It should hopefully be easily adaptable to an Ubuntu environment.

I'm excited by this topic because GOsa has abilities to also integrate
Asterisk, FAI, Fax and many other advanced services. I've also been looking
at integrating Adito. Adito is an open source fork of SSL-Explorer... a VERY
interesting product which offers a SSH gateway/web-desktop which can for
example download third party software (eg. VNC or NXclient) and automagically
establish a SSH tunnel for communications - all via a single click of a web
icon. It's very user friendly for end users, and is capable of a lot more.
Check it out... it deserves to be more widely known.

Anyway, I'll shut up now... I've just been thinking about this stuff myself
for too long I think.

--
Mark Pavlichuk
Strategic IT