Old 10-01-2008, 10:57 AM
"David Dang"

Default Install Xwindows to Ubuntu Server

Hi,

I am new to Ubuntu.* I downloaded Unbuntu Desk top and having used it very effectively for the last few months. However, I am stuck wit Ubuntu Server because it does not have Xwindows. I tried to install it many times but I met with failure because it always encounter an IP address that it could not be contacted.

Fnally, I used the following site,* http://www.howtoforge.com/lamp_installation_ubuntu6.06 in orderto install the GUI.* The only difference is that my Ubuntu server is Version 8.04 instead of 6.06.* After completing all installation, I end up with the root prompt. I typed reboot.* After some burring activity, starting with the Ubuntu loading screen, I ended up with a black screen and a complete silence.* I could not get anywhere else.

I have been reading about the questions posed to Ubuntu.* It seems that many others have the same trouble as I do.* I wonder why Ubuntu decided to take the GUI away from the server instllation in the first place.* It may make the whole program leaner.* But for the beginners to Linux, Ubuntu, I am sure that efficiency is not their primary concern. * Their concern is to be up and go to investigate.* Once proficient they will start to fine tune, to make their server leaner, more efficient, to educate themselves to the world of Linux, to be independent of the slow GUI, etc...** It seems to me that Ubuntu wants to convert user to the world of Linux, but by not making the easy availability of the GUI, they are creating a big hurders for the new users to jump.* It seems that they efeat their own purpose.

Besides, there is another thing that I find annoying in using Help communications from Ubuntu or SLUG.* Most people who need to use all those Help files are beginners.* Yet I find communicators using code names like Heron, Dapper, etc...* as if everyone should know it.* They communicate to each other and dabble in those code names as if they are in an exquisite group and they want to keep it that way.* I think, in most cases, a beginner knows only the name of the version that he is downloading and using.** It is very annoying for me to search for a word that I thought that I had to know in my process of learning Ubuntu,only to find out after lengthy waste of time that that word only refers to an older version of Ubuntu.** In order to promote Linux, Ubuntu, not only it has to be a great program, which I find it is, so far, but it has to be made easy to learn for beginners, which I find it is not.* One of the way I think Ubuntu can do is advice communicators to avoid using code name while referring to Version (or if you love the code names so much, at least add a Version name to it in closed brackets.** This will save many people many hours to search for the code names.

I hope that you treat the above comments as constuctive suggestion.

Regards,

David Dang.*

Old 10-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Daniel Pittman

"David Dang" <ddang@ign.com.au> writes:

> I am new to Ubuntu. I downloaded Unbuntu Desk top and having used it
> very effectively for the last few months. However, I am stuck wit
> Ubuntu Server because it does not have Xwindows. I tried to install it
> many times but I met with failure because it always encounter an IP
> address that it could not be contacted.

You might find it easier to install one of the desktop variants of
Ubuntu, and then install the server components that you are looking for
into that.

That way the GUI works out of the box, and you don't have to worry about
getting it running by hand. There will be no real difference in the
function as a "LAMP" system, which you mention you are after.

[...]

> I have been reading about the questions posed to Ubuntu. It seems
> that many others have the same trouble as I do. I wonder why Ubuntu
> decided to take the GUI away from the server instllation in the first
> place. It may make the whole program leaner. But for the beginners
> to Linux, Ubuntu, I am sure that efficiency is not their primary
> concern. Their concern is to be up and go to investigate.

*nod* You might, perhaps, find it valuable to consider that it is not,
in any way, necessary to run the "server" flavour of Ubuntu to run a
"server" of any stripe.

Regards,
Daniel

Old 10-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Onno Benschop

On 01/10/08 18:57, David Dang wrote:
> [...]
> knows only the name of the version that he is downloading and using. It is
> very annoying for me to search for a word that I thought that I had to know
> in my process of learning Ubuntu,only to find out after lengthy waste of
> time that that word only refers to an older version of Ubuntu. In order to
> promote Linux, Ubuntu, not only it has to be a great program, which I find
> it is, so far, but it has to be made easy to learn for beginners, which I
> find it is not. One of the way I think Ubuntu can do is advice
> communicators to avoid using code name while referring to Version (or if you
> love the code names so much, at least add a Version name to it in closed
> brackets. This will save many people many hours to search for the code
> names.
>
> I hope that you treat the above comments as constuctive suggestion.

While I understand what you're saying about having a GUI, I'm not at all
sure what you're describing with "an IP address that could not be
contacted".

The Ubuntu Desktop is a user environment that runs Linux, has a GUI and
is capable of running all the server applications. If you are not
concerned with the specifics that the ubuntu-server environment brings -
mostly catering toward remote administration, lean deployment and
prioritising of processes - which is what you appear to be writing.

There is absolutely nothing stopping you from installing a Ubuntu
Desktop machine and then installing specific server tasks, or services
after the installation has completed.

As for the IP address issue, if there is a problem then it would be
helpful if you provided a bug report.

Finally, I would point out that a server is in my opinion not a good
place to learn about Linux as a first port of call. I'm not saying that
you don't need the facilities that a server offers - I cannot make that
statement with the information you've supplied - but there is a lot more
to installing a server than booting a server CD and choosing a task from
the installer.

So, I would encourage you to download a Ubuntu LiveCD, install it, use
it, then add services to it to make your workstation into a "server"
without trying to interpret instructions that are applicable to an
installation that was released in June of 2006 and attempt to use them
on a release made in April 2008. Many bugs will have been fixed,
applications renamed or removed, configuration file formats changed - to
name a few issues.

Kind regards,

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S3154'06" - E11550'39" (Yokine, WA)
--
()/)/)() ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>? ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. --- ..Morse for Onno..

ITmaze - ABN: 56 178 057 063 - ph: 04 1219 8888 - onno@itmaze.com.au

Old 10-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Mike Lane

> To: ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
> From: daniel@rimspace.net
> Subject: Re: Install Xwindows to Ubuntu Server
> Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 23:19:53 +1000

> > I have been reading about the questions posed to Ubuntu. It seems
> > that many others have the same trouble as I do. I wonder why Ubuntu
> > decided to take the GUI away from the server instllation in the first
> > place. It may make the whole program leaner. But for the beginners
> > to Linux, Ubuntu, I am sure that efficiency is not their primary
> > concern. Their concern is to be up and go to investigate.

My understanding in that there is no GUI for security reasons and to save system resources.
*
As a Windows convert myself I have had a learning curve with a variant of Ubuntu server - Ubuntu JeOS.
*
Personally I am glad that the Ubuntu servers are set the way they are as I have had to learn some command line,
which will always be useful to know. My ubuntu virtual servers have a smaller disk and memory footprint that if
they had a GUI and also they are more secure because of this. SSH makes finding my way round the file system easier.
*
When I first started I was tempted to install a GUI and I could not do it - now I am getting happier using the command
line, partly because most of the solutions that are posted to problems are command line also.
*
I agree with the previous reply, that installing LAMP for example on the desktop version would be the
simplest solution to needing a server with a GUI.

Try Facebook in Windows Live Messenger! Try it Now!

Old 10-01-2008, 02:12 PM
"Jim Tarvid"

There are several command line configuration tools that would make
that task easier (add zone, add virtual server, add database and
user).

For the original writers intent, tasksel is the easiest route.

Jim

http://ls.net
http://drupal.ls.net

Old 10-01-2008, 02:28 PM
MJang

On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 20:57 +1000, David Dang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Ubuntu. I downloaded Unbuntu Desk top and having used it
> very effectively for the last few months. However, I am stuck wit
> Ubuntu Server because it does not have Xwindows. I tried to install it
> many times but I met with failure because it always encounter an IP
> address that it could not be contacted.

Dear David,

If you have an IP address on the Ubuntu Server, it should have been able
to download the ubuntu-desktop packages.

Based on the failure you reported, boot into "recovery mode" on the
Ubuntu Server, select "Drop To Root Shell Prompt", and then review the X
server log in /var/log/Xorg.0.log . Error messages start with an (EE) .

Alternatively, if it's a server, you may prefer to administer it
remotely. This bypasses any X Server problems on the Ubuntu Server. If
you also install the secure shell (openssh-server), you should be able
to connect to that Ubuntu Server remotely with the following command:

$ ssh -X username@ubuntuserver

At that point, you should be able to run GUI admin tools (as well as
regular command line tools) remotely.

Thanks,
Mike