Old 09-17-2008, 10:30 AM
Onno Benschop

Default CUPS and 426 upgrade required error - gutsy server

I'm seeing a "426 upgrade required" for cups on a gutsy server. I found
bug 44931, which says that it's fixed. I can see the directory and the
symlinks that are described here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cupsys/+bug/44931/comments/14,
but the cupsys user does not exist. I'm confused why this is the case.

I also note that the /etc/cups/ssl has these permissions:

drwx------ 2 root lp 4096 2008-03-29 09:36 /etc/cups/ssl

I can change ownership permissions, update the cupsys.conf file, add a
user, none of which seems an obviously "correct" fix.

I've now compared this to another gutsy install, which shows that the
cupsys user exists there, but the second-working-gutsy is an upgrade
from edgy-feisty-gutsy, where the non-working server was a fresh
install. I'm still no closer to any idea why I'm seeing this, or how
best to fix it.

Any suggestions for a "correct" fix?

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S3154'06" - E11550'39" (Yokine, WA)
--
()/)/)() ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>? ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. --- ..Morse for Onno..

ITmaze - ABN: 56 178 057 063 - ph: 04 1219 8888 - onno@itmaze.com.au

Old 09-22-2008, 10:46 PM
Onno Benschop

On 17/09/08 18:30, Onno Benschop wrote:
> I'm seeing a "426 upgrade required" for cups on a gutsy server. I found
> bug 44931, which says that it's fixed. I can see the directory and the
> symlinks that are described here:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cupsys/+bug/44931/comments/14,
> but the cupsys user does not exist. I'm confused why this is the case.
>
> I also note that the /etc/cups/ssl has these permissions:
>
> drwx------ 2 root lp 4096 2008-03-29 09:36 /etc/cups/ssl
>

> I can change ownership permissions, update the cupsys.conf file, add a
> user, none of which seems an obviously "correct" fix.
>
> I've now compared this to another gutsy install, which shows that the
> cupsys user exists there, but the second-working-gutsy is an upgrade
> from edgy-feisty-gutsy, where the non-working server was a fresh
> install. I'm still no closer to any idea why I'm seeing this, or how
> best to fix it.
>
> Any suggestions for a "correct" fix?

Anyone?

Old 11-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Onno Benschop

On 17/09/08 18:30, Onno Benschop wrote:
> I'm seeing a "426 upgrade required" for cups on a gutsy server. I found
> bug 44931, which says that it's fixed. I can see the directory and the
> symlinks that are described here:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cupsys/+bug/44931/comments/14,
> but the cupsys user does not exist. I'm confused why this is the case.
>
> I also note that the /etc/cups/ssl has these permissions:
>
> drwx------ 2 root lp 4096 2008-03-29 09:36 /etc/cups/ssl
>

> I can change ownership permissions, update the cupsys.conf file, add a
> user, none of which seems an obviously "correct" fix.
>
> I've now compared this to another gutsy install, which shows that the
> cupsys user exists there, but the second-working-gutsy is an upgrade
> from edgy-feisty-gutsy, where the non-working server was a fresh
> install. I'm still no closer to any idea why I'm seeing this, or how
> best to fix it.
>
> Any suggestions for a "correct" fix?

The fix for this was scary in it's simplicity.

The URL that was being used was: http://server:631/, the fix was to use
https://server:631/

Sigh, <grin>