Old 09-08-2008, 01:11 PM
"Miano, Steven M."

Default UFW 0.20

Ladies and Gents,

*********** I’m in need of opening up a port range on one of my servers, and would rather use UFW then IPTables at the moment. I’m using 8.04.1 and can’t seem
to upgrade to 0.20 (which per the wiki can manage ranges), is there a single repository I could change/edit to sudo apt-get dist-upgrade ufw and then edit back to hardy repositories in order to upgrade to the latest UFW? Thank in advance.

*

Regards,

*

Steven M. Miano

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the sender immediately
by return e-mail, purge it and do not disseminate or copy it.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Jamie Strandboge

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008, Miano, Steven M. wrote:

> I'm in need of opening up a port range on one of my servers,
> and would rather use UFW then IPTables at the moment. I'm using 8.04.1 and
> can't seem to upgrade to 0.20 (which per the wiki can manage ranges), is
> there a single repository I could change/edit to sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> ufw and then edit back to hardy repositories in order to upgrade to the
> latest UFW? Thank in advance.

Hi!

ufw 0.19 introduced port ranges, but the version currently in Intrepid
is 0.21. 0.20 and later require iptables >= 1.4.0, which is not
available in 8.04 LTS. At some point, I hope to provide iptables 1.4 and
a newer version of ufw in hardy-backports or a PPA, but I haven't had
time to do that yet. I'd be happy to review updated ufw and iptables
packages and get them uploaded for -backports if someone provides them.

An alternative would be to install and use 0.19[1] on hardy (it works just
fine on 8.04 LTS). This is of course not officially supported, but
neither would using -backports.

[1] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ufw/0.19

Jamie

--
Ubuntu Security Engineer | http://www.ubuntu.com/
Canonical Ltd. | http://www.canonical.com/

Old 09-09-2008, 08:25 PM
"Miano, Steven M."

>Hi!
>
>ufw 0.19 introduced port ranges, but the version currently in Intrepid
>is 0.21. 0.20 and later require iptables >= 1.4.0, which is not
>available in 8.04 LTS. At some point, I hope to provide iptables 1.4 and
>a newer version of ufw in hardy-backports or a PPA, but I haven't had
>time to do that yet. I'd be happy to review updated ufw and iptables
>packages and get them uploaded for -backports if someone provides them.
>
>An alternative would be to install and use 0.19[1] on hardy (it works just
>fine on 8.04 LTS). This is of course not officially supported, but
>neither would using -backports.
>
>[1] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ufw/0.19
>
>Jamie
>
>--
>Ubuntu Security Engineer | http://www.ubuntu.com/
>Canonical Ltd. | http://www.canonical.com/

Thank you Jamie, I look forward to the backports then.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:45 AM
"Didier Roche"

Hi!

As talked with Jamie, I will try to backport it for hardy in the next
few days. I will keep you in touch.
Have a nice day,

Didier