Old 09-08-2008, 12:22 AM
"James Dinkel"

Default how to handle time synch in kvm guest

I have a kvm virtual machine server set up hosting some guest virtual machines for testing and development and it is working great.* However the system clock in the guest virtual machines are losing a couple seconds every day.* Ideally, I would like to use ntp to synch with the guest's "hardware" clock which I would imagine would actually be the host's system clock which is already being kept synchronized with ntp.* At the very least, I could set a cron job to run "hwclock --hctosys" but that seems a little hackish.* Does anybody know if it is even possible to tell ntp to synch with the hardware clock?* Or what is the recommended way to keep guest virtual machines time in sync?

James

Old 09-09-2008, 01:56 AM
Dave Thacker

On Sunday 07 September 2008 19:22:50 James Dinkel wrote:
> I have a kvm virtual machine server set up hosting some guest virtual
> machines for testing and development and it is working great. However the
> system clock in the guest virtual machines are losing a couple seconds
> every day. Ideally, I would like to use ntp to synch with the guest's
> "hardware" clock which I would imagine would actually be the host's system
> clock which is already being kept synchronized with ntp. At the very
> least, I could set a cron job to run "hwclock --hctosys" but that seems a
> little hackish. Does anybody know if it is even possible to tell ntp to
> synch with the hardware clock? Or what is the recommended way to keep
> guest virtual machines time in sync?

I may be missing something, but couldn't the guests be pointed at the same
server that the host is syncing with?

Dave Thacker