Old 08-29-2008, 09:30 PM
"James Dinkel"

Default disabling services on boot

I want to disable a couple services from starting at boot on Ubuntu JEOS 8.04.1.* Would the proper way be to just delete the symlinks in the /etc/rc#.d/ folders?

James

Old 08-29-2008, 09:40 PM
"David Miller"

I believe the preferred way is to use update-rc.d. For more details
on how to use the command check out the update-rc.d man page. This
blog post may also be helpful.

http://pthree.org/2008/02/27/managing-services-in-ubuntu-part-ii-managing-runlevels/
--
David

Old 08-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Kees Cook

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 04:30:18PM -0500, James Dinkel wrote:
> I want to disable a couple services from starting at boot on Ubuntu JEOS
> 8.04.1. Would the proper way be to just delete the symlinks in the
> /etc/rc#.d/ folders?

I've tended to use:

if [ -f /etc/init.d/$SERV ]; then
/usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d $SERV stop
/usr/sbin/update-rc.d $SERV remove
fi

where SERV is the service I want to stop and leave disabled.
("update-rc.d ... remove" basically does what you were suggesting.)

-Kees

--
Kees Cook
Ubuntu Security Team

Old 08-30-2008, 01:25 AM
"James Dinkel"

Thanks for the replies.* I read the man page on update-rc.d and came across this:

---

Please note that this program was designed for* use* in* package* mainâ

****** tainer* scripts and, accordingly, has only the very limited functionalâ

****** ity required by such scripts.* System administrators are not encouraged

****** to* use* update-rc.d* to* manage runlevels.* They should edit the links

****** directly or use runlevel editors such as sysv-rc-conf and bum* instead.

---

It sounds like 'sudo update-rc.d SERVICE remove -f' should do the same thing as removing them manually though.

James