Old 08-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Michael Hipp

Default What is the makeup of the server team?

I know nothing about the makeup or organization of the server team (or any of
Ubuntu for that matter).

Laying awake last night retracing my unfortunate flame war with Soren, I began
to ponder root causes. And I came up with an answer. Even though it may be wrong.

So I'm hoping to gain some information and understanding by asking an odd
question...

What's the makeup of the Ubuntu server team? More specifically, does it
include influential representation from people (sorta like me) who are
attempting to scrape out a living deploying Ubuntu on bottom-of-the-barrel
lowest low-end hardware, installing those machines in deplorable conditions,
and with nothing remotely resembling an I/T infrastructure (facilities or
people) to support the server?

The above isn't intended to form the basis of an accusation or complaint. I
just sense a big difficult-to-cross gulf between folks who, for example, have
the ability to remotely manipulate a server that isn't even running versus
those of us out here in the hillbilly backwater who think that a high end
server is one with a CD-ROM drive. (I can elaborate but am trying to avoid
rambling.)

Can someone give me a thumbnail of the makeup and organization of the server team?

Thanks,
Michael Hipp
"After you cross the creek, turn at the first gate, drive past the hay barn
and park under the big sweetgum tree. Your server will be ready as soon as
I've fixed the downed fences over in the northwest corner."

Old 08-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Scott Kitterman

>I know nothing about the makeup or organization of the server team (or any
of
>Ubuntu for that matter).
>
>Laying awake last night retracing my unfortunate flame war with Soren, I
began
>to ponder root causes. And I came up with an answer. Even though it may be
wrong.

>So I'm hoping to gain some information and understanding by asking an odd
>question...
>
>What's the makeup of the Ubuntu server team? More specifically, does it
>include influential representation from people (sorta like me) who are
>attempting to scrape out a living deploying Ubuntu on bottom-of-the-barrel
>lowest low-end hardware, installing those machines in deplorable
conditions,
>and with nothing remotely resembling an I/T infrastructure (facilities or
>people) to support the server?
>
>The above isn't intended to form the basis of an accusation or complaint.
>just sense a big difficult-to-cross gulf between folks who, for example,
have
>the ability to remotely manipulate a server that isn't even running versus
>those of us out here in the hillbilly backwater who think that a high end
>server is one with a CD-ROM drive. (I can elaborate but am trying to avoid
>rambling.)
>
>Can someone give me a thumbnail of the makeup and organization of the
server team?

It's varied.

Some are employed by Canonical to develop Ubuntu Server. Some, like
myself, are community developers who are here on our own time for our own
reasons.

There are also people involved who are users of Ubuntu Server, but rather
fewer of those.

As such thing go, Ubuntu Server is relatively young. More input is
certainly welcome.

To get rather more directly to your point, most of the people here are
developing what you are using. It's not like we don't know it's imperfect,
but we also know how much effort has gone into making it better and why,
perhaps, certain thing didn't get done in time for Hardy.

Welcome,

Scott K

Old 08-27-2008, 07:27 PM
"Dan Trevino"

I'm more on your side of the fence than the developer side.* While I've been saddled with some real work projects that haven't allowed me time to do anything Ubuntu server related in the past 6 months, when i did have time, I found the developers helpful.*

That being said, I've found this team is more of a server contribution team than a server support team.

dan

Old 08-27-2008, 08:38 PM
"Miano, Steven M."

Sorry for top posting but I would agree with Dan, I’m a simple user of Ubuntu Server that is interested in the direction that it will
be taking.

*

I’m not nearly a developer, and have very intermediate skills I would say. I think that Michaels question was more towards the Ubuntu/Canonnical
side of things though, and not so much as to who is on the Ubuntu Server Mailing List.

*

~Steven

*

[...]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the sender immediately
by return e-mail, purge it and do not disseminate or copy it.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Wednesday 27 August 2008 16:38:04 Miano, Steven M. wrote:
> Sorry for top posting but I would agree with Dan, I'm a simple user of
> Ubuntu Server that is interested in the direction that it will be taking.
>
> I'm not nearly a developer, and have very intermediate skills I would say.
> I think that Michaels question was more towards the Ubuntu/Canonnical side
> of things though, and not so much as to who is on the Ubuntu Server Mailing
> List.

Among the active developers (some of which are employed by Canonical and some
of which are not), I think we tend to be somewhat varied in our backgrounds.
Most of the community developers do not, I don't think, work for large
companies with huge budgets. I certainly understand that there are
applications where reliability is more important than data integrity, but the
reverse is also true.

Scott K

Old 08-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Nick Barcet

Miano, Steven M. wrote:
> Sorry for top posting but I would agree with Dan, I’m a simple user of
> Ubuntu Server that is interested in the direction that it will be taking.

This list/team obviously mixes "developpers", "users" and "admins" and
as noted, conveys both a role of "user's forum" and "developper mailing
list". The team being quite new, it is quite usual to only have one
list that mixes the two as long as the traffic remains reasonable, and
eventually split it later on, when it starts to make sense to do so.

> I’m not nearly a developer, and have very intermediate skills I would
> say.

There are many ways in which one can contribute, and coding is certainly
only one of them. Some members of the team spend time helping other on
the forums, irc, here, and this is crucial. Some other write
documentation, wiki pages, white papers or just notes, this is also very
usefull. Others contribute just by providing feedback, user experience
(good or bad), describing a particular use case which might need a bit
more love, reporting bugs or suggesting enhancement, this is
fundamental. Also beta testers, by verifying that what we have
implemented does indeed solve their need, play an important role in
insuring that we release a good product. I am sure this list is not
quite exhaustive, but in any case, feel free to jump in, and contribute
whatever you can, whether it is a minute or a year, it still counts!

> I think that Michaels question was more towards the
> Ubuntu/Canonnical side of things though, and not so much as to who is on
> the Ubuntu Server Mailing List.

On the Canonical side of things, I, as the product manager for Ubuntu
Server Edition, am always available and really welcome having exchanges
with any user of Ubuntu Server Edition. If you have confidential
subjects you'd like to talk about, or are just not sure whether your
subject is worth sending to the whole, feel free to bug me, it's my job
to be bugged I am known as nijaba on irc (join #ubuntu-server on
freenode) and generally answer promptly to emails.

Cheers,
Nick

Old 08-28-2008, 06:43 AM
Ante Karamatic

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:58:50 -0500
Michael Hipp <Michael@Hipp.com> wrote:

> What's the makeup of the Ubuntu server team? More specifically, does
> it include influential representation from people (sorta like me) who
> are attempting to scrape out a living deploying Ubuntu on
> bottom-of-the-barrel lowest low-end hardware, installing those
> machines in deplorable conditions, and with nothing remotely
> resembling an I/T infrastructure (facilities or people) to support
> the server?

I do Ubuntu Server deployment for living. My company employs two system
administrators that do nothing except administrating over 100 ubuntu
servers. It's a young company, but as Ubuntu server, it also has rapid
development.

None of the people working in this company is developer, but I tend to
help Ubuntu Server development with problems I notice in production.
There are also some stuff which are of big interest to me (or my
company) and I tend to devote my time to push my interest into Ubuntu
Server, so that I can have even easier life. I I can't have anything
but good words for Ubuntu Server developers (including both community
and Canonical side).

Does that help?