Old 08-26-2008, 12:51 AM
"P. Kaluza"

Default slapd with cn=config - some suggestions

[Please CC me, I'm not subscribed]

Hi Server team,

with interest I read the recent blog post announcing that slapd will
move to a cn=config style configuration for inteprid.
I've been using this for a while locally and think this will really easy
LDAP maintenance for a lot of admins.

On the Debian side of things, this migration is still being prepared.
One thing I am working currently on is a package shipping additional
common LDAP schemas, as well a a script to load these into slapd on
admin request.

In the interest of brevity I'll just refer you to
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-openldap-devel/2008-August/002980.html
and
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-openldap-devel/2008-August/003015.html
for a design rationale.

The script currently loads schemas into cn=config setups via slapadd,
doing this via an LDAP connection is planned for the future if I can
come up with a good infrastructure to authenticate this kind of connection.

Feel free to poke at the existing preliminary work at
http://playground.yomu.de/debian/pool/main/l/ldap-schema-common/ .

If this is at all interesting for Ubuntu Server, please don't hesitate
to tell me what you think of the design, what else you need from it,
additional schemas it should include, etc.

Thank you, keep up the good work,
Philipp