Old 08-27-2008, 08:14 AM
"Dustin Kirkland"

Default 8.04-1 won't boot from degraded raid

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Kees Cook <kees@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 12:44:36PM -0400, David Miller wrote:
>> Now having said that I'm glad that this problem is finally getting some
>> attention. But for it to be a viable option here it has to be in a LTS
>> release so what are the chances of this getting back ported to Hardy once
>> it's released in Intrepid? Considering that the LTS server users are the
>> Ubuntu market segment that will benefit from this the most from this and are
>> the ones who are willing to pay for support contracts.

Just to expand a bit on what Kees said to this, David (et al)...

We absolutely must first prove that the functionality in Intrepid does
what would be required (by you and some critical mass of others)
before we begin to discuss a backport to Hardy Long-Term-Support.

Among this thread, and the several others bugs on this topic (various
aspects of booting degraded RAID), it seems that there are a number of
different (perhaps even conflicting) expectations on this topic.

At the very least, Kees and I have tested the patches to mdadm, grub,
and initramfs. Both of us run RAID1's on Ubuntu on our own personal
servers. And both of us were as frustrated as you when we learned
that Ubuntu did not handle a degraded RAID gracefully.

I politely disagree with Michael's calling it "broken"... To me,
"broken" would equate to something more along Soren's scenario of
corrupted data, or a destroyed system. We can quibble over
terminology, but there are certainly valid bugs in Launchpad about the
problem, and Ubuntu's behavior prior to my patches was absolutely
sub-optimal, and lacking some highly sought-after features.

One of the absolute prerequisites before myself (and possibly others)
invest the significant effort required to backport and test the
functionality, and then begin trying to convince the powers-that-be to
allow the Stable-Release-Update, is that you and others test the
functionality as it stands in Intrepid and report back that it behaves
as you'd want it to in Hardy. Even then, I cannot make any guarantees
at this point, but we will need that data to support the request to
deliver the functionality back to a previously released version of
Ubuntu.

Thanks,
:-Dustin

Old 08-27-2008, 02:11 PM
Michael Hipp

Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> Among this thread, and the several others bugs on this topic (various
> aspects of booting degraded RAID), it seems that there are a number of
> different (perhaps even conflicting) expectations on this topic.

Could you elaborate? I've seen mention of various enhancements (e.g. offer a
menu choice with a timeout to default). But I thought the basic need
(configurable to either boot or not) was pretty straightforward.

> One of the absolute prerequisites before myself (and possibly others)
> invest the significant effort required to backport and test the
> functionality, and then begin trying to convince the powers-that-be to
> allow the Stable-Release-Update, is that you and others test the
> functionality as it stands in Intrepid and report back that it behaves
> as you'd want it to in Hardy. Even then, I cannot make any guarantees
> at this point, but we will need that data to support the request to
> deliver the functionality back to a previously released version of
> Ubuntu.

Thanks for the explanation. I will attempt to get this done in the near future
and report results. Is it a necessity to use the most recent daily build of
'server' for this testing (the cd images take a while to download out here in
Hooterville)?

Thanks,
Michael

Old 08-29-2008, 05:38 PM
"Dustin Kirkland"

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 3:11 PM, Michael Hipp <Michael@hipp.com> wrote:
> Dustin Kirkland wrote:
>> Among this thread, and the several others bugs on this topic (various
>> aspects of booting degraded RAID), it seems that there are a number of
>> different (perhaps even conflicting) expectations on this topic.
>
> Could you elaborate? I've seen mention of various enhancements (e.g. offer a
> menu choice with a timeout to default). But I thought the basic need
> (configurable to either boot or not) was pretty straightforward.

My patches fixed what I considered to be the 3 most fundamental
Ubuntu/RAID issues:
1) initramfs support for allowing a system's administrator to
optionally start the system even if the root RAID is degraded, (which
includes setting it in an /etc config file, setting it as a kernel
boot parameter, and choosing it interactively within a 15 second
timeout period)
2) mdadm debconf support for allowing the administrator to easily
configure this value (to boot degraded or not boot degraded)
3) grub support for installing the bootloader to each disk in a RAID
providing /boot

If you want to read about all of the other issues in and around this
topic, see the lengthy set of user comments on my spec
* https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BootDegradedRaid#Comments

And see the hundreds of comments attached to bugs: 33649, 120375,
157981, 244792, 259127, 259145.

> Thanks for the explanation. I will attempt to get this done in the near future
> and report results. Is it a necessity to use the most recent daily build of
> 'server' for this testing (the cd images take a while to download out here in
> Hooterville)?

Hmm, well, it will need to be at least Alpha4. The newer, the better
though. I just returned from vacation and I will spend some time
testing this from the installer images next week. Thanks.

:-Dustin