-   -   Why bind9 on 8.04 server? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/147652-why-bind9-8-04-server.html)

Michael Hipp 08-23-2008 06:48 PM

Why bind9 on 8.04 server?

Just installed 8.04-1 server. Doing updates it says:

bind9-host dnsutils libbind9-30 libisccfg30

To my knowledge I don't want bind running on this machine. I will be using
dnsmasq to be a simple caching dns and dhcp server for the Windows machines on
the backside of this box.

Why do I have bind9-host or, alternatively, why is it held back?

Can I just uninstall it?

Thanks,
Michael

Andreas Olsson 08-23-2008 07:11 PM

Why bind9 on 8.04 server?

On Saturday 23 August 2008 20:48:18 Michael Hipp wrote:
> Just installed 8.04-1 server. Doing updates it says:
>
> The following packages have been kept back:
> bind9-host dnsutils libbind9-30 libisccfg30
>
> To my knowledge I don't want bind running on this machine. I will be using
> dnsmasq to be a simple caching dns and dhcp server for the Windows machines
> on the backside of this box.
>
> Why do I have bind9-host or, alternatively, why is it held back?

bind9-host is only the host command from bind9. Not the entire bind9.

The reason why packages are held back is because they depend on a new package.
Doing an apt-get upgrade won't give you any new packages. Instead you can try
an apt-get dist-upgrade

Well, even with dist-upgrade you can get held back packages. That's in
situations when the necessary new packages yet has to be moved into the
repository.

--
Andreas Olsson
http://www.andreasolsson.se/

Michael Hipp 08-23-2008 07:46 PM

Why bind9 on 8.04 server?

Andreas Olsson wrote:
> On Saturday 23 August 2008 20:48:18 Michael Hipp wrote:
>> Just installed 8.04-1 server. Doing updates it says:
>>
>> The following packages have been kept back:
>> bind9-host dnsutils libbind9-30 libisccfg30
>>
>> To my knowledge I don't want bind running on this machine. I will be using
>> dnsmasq to be a simple caching dns and dhcp server for the Windows machines
>> on the backside of this box.
>>
>> Why do I have bind9-host or, alternatively, why is it held back?
>
> bind9-host is only the host command from bind9. Not the entire bind9.
>
> The reason why packages are held back is because they depend on a new package.
> Doing an apt-get upgrade won't give you any new packages. Instead you can try
> an apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> Well, even with dist-upgrade you can get held back packages. That's in
> situations when the necessary new packages yet has to be moved into the
> repository.

Thanks. I installed it.

Michael