Old 08-22-2008, 04:09 AM
"Amarendra Kumar"

Default server setup+gui help needed

I am setting up a wireless LAN in my class LAB. around 10-15 comps. We
have got one HP workstation and an IBM Blade server too. However we

shall install Linux server(I have an Ubuntu Hardy Server CD) on the HP
workstation and then network all the systems wireless. We also plan to
enable Internet access and data access from all other computers (and

even from laptops brought students) by using an USER-ID and password

assigned to them.
Any system can access any system's data in the WLAN on the basis of USER
permissions including workstation. Shall we have to make more servers or
all the systems will also have to act as servers for this purpose?

Remember the other systems may have other OSs as well like XP,Vista and
different Linux distros.
Please reply if you can find time, or suggest some useful links(near the
point).
Please at least tell us the task list so that we will search how to do

it from Internet.
i will explain again
i want a GUI for this server. I am a linux newbie. So, I need it. I
installed it and after tht I was clueless what to do. I have to install
Ubuntu Server on a HP workstation in my college's IT Lab and then
network the lab which is already wi-fi. All the systems have wireless
cards. first we will try with 2-3 systems only and that HP workstation.

shall i need to put the Gnome or whatever from another source or that
is already in the CD and hence is on the Hard disk ..if yes then how?
How shall i know that the wi-fi internet available in the lab is being accessed by the worksstation after that server install?

in such matters a gui will help
--
Amarendra Kumar
Dept. of IT , NIT Patna

Old 08-22-2008, 02:42 PM
"Ali Sattari"

Hi,

Check ebox project: http://ebox-platform.com/

You can do most of your tasks with ebox:
http://ebox-platform.com/product/features/#usermanagement

http://ebox-platform.com/product/features/#gateway

[...]

Ali Sattari (AKA Ali ix)
http://corelist.net