Old 08-13-2008, 03:26 PM
Steve Langasek

Default Degraded RAID UI ( Server Team 20080812 meeting minutes)

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 02:53:51PM +0200, Ante Karamatic wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 11:59:53 +0100
> Matt Zimmerman <mdz@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> > It appears from that if this feature is not enabled, the system will
> > fail hard to an initramfs shell. Instead, how about giving the user
> > the option to continue?

> Interaction on a remote server without internet connection is useless.

Then isn't dropping to an initramfs shell equally useless?

Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org

Old 08-13-2008, 03:26 PM
Steve Langasek

Old 08-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Ante Karamatic

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 12:26:27 -0300
Steve Langasek <steve.langasek@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Then isn't dropping to an initramfs shell equally useless?

It is. I've misunderstood Matt's proposal. I taught the idea was to
replace all configuration options with interactive prompt. Sorry for
confusion...

Old 08-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Ante Karamatic

Old 08-14-2008, 06:13 AM
Kees Cook

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 11:59:53AM +0100, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 05:19:32PM -0700, Mathias Gug wrote:
> > ==== Boot Support for Degraded RAID ====
> >
> > kirkland has been working on adding RAID support to grub-install. His patch is
> > waiting for sponsoring. He hopes it will make it for alpha4 scheduled to be
> > released on Thursday. If so mathiaz suggested that this new feature should be
> > documented in the Release Notes in order to get more testing.
>
> Do you wish to continue? [y/N]
>
> This should present no more risk than dropping to a shell, and gives the
> user the guidance to make an informed decision.

This blocks other rootfail handlers from executing. In some magic
future the other handlers could potentially do something to solve the
md problems, resulting in a correctly booted system without any user
interaction.

However, nothing is yet attempting to use the rootfail framework beyond
MD and LVM. Still, it seems like a bad idea to block. At present, on a
failure, all the information needed to boot degraded is presented to the
user. It does require a separate boot, though:

There appears to be one or more degraded RAID devices, and your root device
may depend on the RAID devices being online. One or more of the following RAID
devices are degraded:
.../proc/mdstat...
If you want to attempt to boot with the RAID in degraded mode, add the
following parameter to your kernel boot options:
bootdegraded=true

As mentioned, a timeout to the handler's question could be added using
the "-t" option to "read" (which is supported in busybox, thankfully):

ANS="unanswered"
read -p "Boot with degraded RAID anyway? [y/N]: " -r ANS -t 15
case "$ANS" in
unanswered) echo "Timed out"
;;
y*|Y*) BOOT_DEGRADED=true
;;
*) BOOT_DEGRADED=false
;;
esac

--
Kees Cook
Ubuntu Security Team

Old 08-14-2008, 06:13 AM
Kees Cook

Old 08-14-2008, 06:56 PM
"Dustin Kirkland"

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 1:13 AM, Kees Cook <kees@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> As mentioned, a timeout to the handler's question could be added using
> the "-t" option to "read" (which is supported in busybox, thankfully):
> ANS="unanswered"
> read -p "Boot with degraded RAID anyway? [y/N]: " -r ANS -t 15

I had tried this without success previously.

I should mention that there is some wonkiness with "read"... The "-r"
option MUST be the last option in the parameter list. The sample code
that Kees pasted above won't work, since he has the "-t 15" following
the "-r ANS".

In any case, I'm attaching another patch that solves this problem to
the bug. I've tested the timeout and it behaves as expected. See:
* https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mdadm/+bug/257568

:-Dustin

Old 08-14-2008, 06:56 PM
"Dustin Kirkland"