Old 08-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Martin Hess

Default Performance tuning advice

By latency I'm assuming you mean how long packets stick around in the network stack before they are sent out.
Packets are small (<500bytes) and need to sent within 10ms.
Thank you for the man page pointers. They will help.
On Aug 7, 2008, at 3:12 PM, David Miller wrote:There's a lot of kernel tweaks that can be used to fine tune your network stack for this type of workload but you didn't mention how critical latency is to your workload.* That will also need to be factored into what settings to use.

Pretty much anything in /proc/sys/net/core/ and /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ can be tweaked and the settings can be made permanent using /etc/sysctl.conf.

Look for the Sysctls section in the following man pages for definitions on what each of these settings do.
man 7 tcp
man 7 udp
man 7 socket
man 7 ip