Old 08-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Martin Hess

Default Performance tuning advice

Hello,

I'm looking for advice on how best to tune Ubuntu Server 8.0.4 for
best network performance. I have a custom server application that has
up to 50,000 tcp connections open at a time.

The amount of data being sent is small -- on the order of a 3-4KB/min.
Connections come and go at a rate of 1000/minute.

Other considerations:
Disk I/O is unimportant.
Memory use is intensive.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Marty

Old 08-07-2008, 10:12 PM
"David Miller"

There's a lot of kernel tweaks that can be used to fine tune
your network stack for this type of workload but you didn't mention how critical latency is to your workload.* That will also need to be factored into what settings to use.

Pretty much anything in /proc/sys/net/core/ and /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ can be tweaked and the settings can be made permanent using /etc/sysctl.conf.

Look for the Sysctls section in the following man pages for definitions on what each of these settings do.
man 7 tcp
man 7 udp
man 7 socket
man 7 ip