Old 07-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Etienne Goyer

Default Looking for users of redhat-cluster-suite on Ubuntu

Hello all,

I guess this list is the best place to ask for such a question. Hope it
is on-topic enough.

We (some colleagues and myself) are currently working on white paper
about HA clustering using redhat-cluster-suite on Ubuntu. We would like
to hear about different real-world deployments to be able to synthesise
a set of best practices. The cookie-cutter Apache/NFS/Samba scenarios
are well covered, but if you do anything more intricate, we would like
to hear about your experiences and especially any snags you may have
come upon during design and deployment.

If you prefer not to discuss that on the list, it is ok to contact me
out of band.

Cheers!

--
Etienne Goyer, Senior Ubuntu System Support Analyst
Ubuntu Certified Instructor

Old 07-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Jorge Armando Medina

On Friday 11 July 2008 02:45:13 pm Etienne Goyer wrote:
> Hello all,

Hi Etienne

> I guess this list is the best place to ask for such a question. Hope it
> is on-topic enough.
>
> We (some colleagues and myself) are currently working on white paper
> about HA clustering using redhat-cluster-suite on Ubuntu. We would like
> to hear about different real-world deployments to be able to synthesise
> a set of best practices. The cookie-cutter Apache/NFS/Samba scenarios
> are well covered, but if you do anything more intricate, we would like
> to hear about your experiences and especially any snags you may have
> come upon during design and deployment.

I'm not working with such a setup, but I would like to hear about your white
paper, and more exactly about the samba part, maybe I cant test those setups.

Thanks

--
Jorge Armando Medina
Computación Gráfica de México

Old 07-13-2008, 08:36 AM
"Neil Wilson"

2008/7/11 Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer@canonical.com>:
> We (some colleagues and myself) are currently working on white paper
> about HA clustering using redhat-cluster-suite on Ubuntu. We would like
> to hear about different real-world deployments to be able to synthesise
> a set of best practices. The cookie-cutter Apache/NFS/Samba scenarios

At Brightbox we currently use the cluster suite with our virtualised
Ubuntu Ruby on Rails service. We only use a bit of it, and essentially
we have found it to be more trouble than it is worth. A great number
of our availability problems are due to problems with the cluster
technology not behaving properly.

Essentially the issue is that the cluster suite couples machines
closely together - that is its purpose. And like all coupling it
creates a system that is brittle in the face of unforeseen problems.

So we've taken the view that we're going to eliminate both clustering
and NFS from our setup and instead use GlusterFS (http://gluster.org)
and database clustering as our shared facilities. The rest of the
design is going to be shared nothing as far as is humanly possible.

Anybody who has struggled with clustering, NFS and yowled with
frustration at stale file handles will find GlusterFS a complete
breath of fresh air.

There are Ubuntu Hardy packages for GlusterFS here:
https://edge.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-ruby-backports/+archive for anybody
who fancies giving it a whirl.

--
Neil Wilson

Old 07-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Alexander Kraev

Hi Etienne,

One year ago I built HA cluster based on heartbeat and ocfs2. The
cluster contains two Dell servers and one storage running in a cluster
mode and directly connected to the servers via SCSI cables(DAS). The
system is powered by SLES 10.2 and it's still in production. The HA
cluster contains several resource groups like Apache + VIP, MySQL + VIP,
Oracle XE + VIP and our Java based application. The application like
Apache, MySQL and Oracle XE use the same storage but they have different
per nodes log directory, pid files and some other files like
listener.ora. I use OCFS2CDSL to make one file or directory unique per
node. I used the Heartbeat GUI application to configure the cluster and
now I use it as a cluster management tool. Let me know if you need more
details.

Sorry for my English.

Regards,
Alexander

Old 07-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Etienne Goyer

Neil Wilson wrote:
> Essentially the issue is that the cluster suite couples machines
> closely together - that is its purpose. And like all coupling it
> creates a system that is brittle in the face of unforeseen problems.

That's also my experience, which is why I want to hear about RHCS
deployment on Ubuntu, successful or not. As unforeseen problems are, by
definition, hard to fathom, I would like to hear about those that people
experienced with their own specific. Hopefully, I can gather enough
such experience to come up with a set of guidelines or best practices
that are generally useful.

> Anybody who has struggled with clustering, NFS and yowled with
> frustration at stale file handles will find GlusterFS a complete
> breath of fresh air.

That is interesting. Can you expand a bit on the stale file handle
problem you had with NFS? Was a public bug ever reported on the
subject? Is it something that is easy to reproduce? If not, can you
give a hint about the conditions that would trigger this problem?

Thanks!

Old 07-29-2008, 09:55 AM
"Neil Wilson"

2008/7/21 Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer@canonical.com>:
> That is interesting. Can you expand a bit on the stale file handle
> problem you had with NFS? Was a public bug ever reported on the
> subject? Is it something that is easy to reproduce? If not, can you
> give a hint about the conditions that would trigger this problem?

It's not really a bug. It's a fundamental design problem with NFS and
clustering.

NFS creates its file handles from the inode number of the file on the
server. If you have clustered servers then you must make sure that the
shared filesystem is *identical* at the inode level - and that
generally means that any file mirroring you do must be at filesystem
level, not file level. (DRBD generally or a posh SAN).

If you don't then as soon as the server changes identity, client NFS
will issue the dreaded 'stale file handle' error message and you're
out of action until you remount the share. NFS doesn't appear to have
an effective client side recovery on a cluster in Ubuntu. Or if it
does it isn't on by default.

NeilW

--
Neil Wilson

Old 08-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Chris Joelly

Hi,

sorry for tuning in that late, but found your posting today.

we are setting up a 2 node cluster for use with Samba and Apache
webserver and want to gather experiences of other Ubuntu server users
using RHCS.

As documentaion from Ubuntu is very limited and there also seems to be
no other users using Ubuntu server with RHCS, i decided to tune in and
maybe could provide some experiences if they are of help. By now we are
playing around but soon the server should go to a 'limited' production
scenario and grow with experience and clients over time...

You mentioned in your posting (Fri Jul 11) that there are white papers
available covering Apache/NFS/Samba setups? Are these white papers
publically available? And is there other indepth information regaring
Ubuntus RHCS packages available?

thx,

Chris

Old 08-14-2008, 02:59 PM
"Shang Wu"

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Chris Joelly <chris-m-lists@joelly.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry for tuning in that late, but found your posting today.
>
> we are setting up a 2 node cluster for use with Samba and Apache
> webserver and want to gather experiences of other Ubuntu server users
> using RHCS.
>
> As documentaion from Ubuntu is very limited and there also seems to be
> no other users using Ubuntu server with RHCS, i decided to tune in and
> maybe could provide some experiences if they are of help. By now we are
> playing around but soon the server should go to a 'limited' production
> scenario and grow with experience and clients over time...
>
> You mentioned in your posting (Fri Jul 11) that there are white papers
> available covering Apache/NFS/Samba setups? Are these white papers
> publically available? And is there other indepth information regaring
> Ubuntus RHCS packages available?
>
> thx,
>
> Chris

Hi Chris,

The white paper for RHCS is not available yet at the moment. A while
ago, we had a similar discussion on the same topic, you can find more
information:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-server/2008-July/001936.html

If you are going to setup the apache server using RHCS, here is the
bug that you should take a look at before setting it up and might save
you some time:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/redhat-cluster-suite/+bug/250847

Shang Wu
Ubuntu System Support Analyst