Old 06-29-2008, 02:34 PM
"Jim Tarvid"

Default Fwd: Ubuntu server GUI

Many server management tools use a client server model (ntop, ebox, puppet). Those who choose to run the client on the server can do so which I do on my workstation to sandbox work in progress.

That practice is not without its disadvantages.

1) firefox and xorg can consume a large proportions of my computer's resources
2) I have a large number of open ports and sockets (>600), fortunately they are behind a firewall and I know my neighbors
3) some of my sandbox applications generate outgoing traffic

Some of tools need a tool to configure the tool, e.g. puppet

Clearly I need to get my act together but some polish on the existing client server tools would help.