Old 06-24-2008, 12:10 AM
"Dustin Kirkland"

Default Server Flavors

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 6:55 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com> wrote:
> 3. Provide a way to scalably provide a lot of different configurations for
> many specific use cases that doesn't require much additional configuration
> and sysadmin time. I've proposed a spec for one approach to move in this
> direction:
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-flavors

I really like the idea of "canned" server flavors!

Unique CD's per install (as stated in the blueprint), I think, might
get unwieldy, with perhaps dozens of new server CD's per architecture.
This is where the hypothetical hosted, vm image builder discussed at
UDS might be nice. Fill in a few form values, get a coffee, come back
and download your new server image. Perhaps more scalable than unique
iso for every combination dreamable.

:-Dustin

Old 06-24-2008, 12:31 AM
"Luke L"

This sounds like an absolutely terrific idea. The next step (even
before design) is analysis. What flavors will be offered? What level
of customization are we talking about?

1) No matter how implemented, the "form" or install menu would have
questions on:

VM install / physical machine?
Minimal tools / Full tools? (Tools like w3m, full vim, etc.)
Tasks in tasksel (Servers to be installed)

2) Will this be an install-time set of options that could optionally
be automated, or will this be in the form of a program that spins a
custom install ISO?
While making it an install-time choice might make a tight fit on a CD,
it would be more flexible to use, IMO.

3) This idea would benefit us greatest if the program (if the
'program' route were chosen) doing this were somehow cross-platform.
This is not a requirement, but it would be handy.

Notes) This customization could go to the extreme (Selection of
individual packages) if a DVD or multi-CD release were available, like
FreeBSD. I don't see that being entirely necessary, however. If this
were made as a "Custom ISO Maker", allowing users to spin install DVDs
with more info would be a good option.

I hope my ideas are of some inspiration, and that I could possibly
help in the conception of this project.
--
Luke L.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:35 AM
Scott Kitterman

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 19:10:27 -0500 "Dustin Kirkland"
<kirkland@canonical.com> wrote:
>On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 6:55 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu@kitterman.com>
wrote:
>> 3. Provide a way to scalably provide a lot of different configurations
for
>> many specific use cases that doesn't require much additional
configuration
>> and sysadmin time. I've proposed a spec for one approach to move in this
>> direction:
>>
>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/server-flavors
>
>I really like the idea of "canned" server flavors!
>
>Unique CD's per install (as stated in the blueprint), I think, might
>get unwieldy, with perhaps dozens of new server CD's per architecture.
> This is where the hypothetical hosted, vm image builder discussed at
>UDS might be nice. Fill in a few form values, get a coffee, come back
>and download your new server image. Perhaps more scalable than unique
>iso for every combination dreamable.

Although the spec is written in terms of a new install/ISO, the FAI
configuration step could also be done on top of an existing base install.
I should make the explicit in the spec.

Scott K

Old 06-24-2008, 02:25 AM
Scott Kitterman

On Monday 23 June 2008 20:31, Luke L wrote:
> This sounds like an absolutely terrific idea. The next step (even
> before design) is analysis. What flavors will be offered? What level
> of customization are we talking about?
>
> 1) No matter how implemented, the "form" or install menu would have
> questions on:
>
> VM install / physical machine?
> Minimal tools / Full tools? (Tools like w3m, full vim, etc.)
> Tasks in tasksel (Servers to be installed)

Actually I expect this to go well beyond what is in tasksel. One of the
problems with tasksel is that it isn't very scalable.

> 2) Will this be an install-time set of options that could optionally
> be automated, or will this be in the form of a program that spins a
> custom install ISO?

It could be either. A lot of this is still TBD depending on the resources
available to develop it. The spec is not yet approved.

> While making it an install-time choice might make a tight fit on a CD,
> it would be more flexible to use, IMO.

More flexible for the small shops, but at some point I'd like to integrate
this into some kind of PXE boot system so that large deployments can easily
be automated.

> 3) This idea would benefit us greatest if the program (if the
> 'program' route were chosen) doing this were somehow cross-platform.
> This is not a requirement, but it would be handy.

Package install and configuration is so unique that this will be unique to
Debian and derived distros. There is no general solution to such a problem
and I'm pretty convinced one isn't feasible.

> Notes) This customization could go to the extreme (Selection of
> individual packages) if a DVD or multi-CD release were available, like
> FreeBSD. I don't see that being entirely necessary, however. If this
> were made as a "Custom ISO Maker", allowing users to spin install DVDs
> with more info would be a good option.

This goes beyone just selection of packages. That is easy to do with pre-seed
and the Debian Installer. The integration with FAI can provide us with a
defined set of packages and an integrated configuration. That's when the big
win is in my opinion.

> I hope my ideas are of some inspiration, and that I could possibly
> help in the conception of this project.

Thanks. Assuming this gets approved I'll pick on you for help.

Scott K

Old 06-24-2008, 03:03 AM
"Luke L"

I did it again. Scott, sorry for the reply.

>> 3) This idea would benefit us greatest if the program (if the
>> 'program' route were chosen) doing this were somehow cross-platform.
>> This is not a requirement, but it would be handy.
>
> Package install and configuration is so unique that this will be unique to
> Debian and derived distros. There is no general solution to such a problem
> and I'm pretty convinced one isn't feasible.

When I said cross-platform, I meant the program that generates the
custom ISO, though it seems you have more of the "FAI" and "configure
IN Ubuntu" idea. In other words, a Windows user could download a
program that takes the desired specs and creates an ISO to their
liking so they can install it. However, I see your point, this should
be more about automated, custom, easy to deploy UBUNTU centric
software.

--
Luke L.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:28 AM
Scott Kitterman

On Monday 23 June 2008 23:03, Luke L wrote:
> I did it again. Scott, sorry for the reply.

No problem. You might consider a mail client that has a 'reply to list'
feature. I can recommen Kmail/Kontact.

> >> 3) This idea would benefit us greatest if the program (if the
> >> 'program' route were chosen) doing this were somehow cross-platform.
> >> This is not a requirement, but it would be handy.
> >
> > Package install and configuration is so unique that this will be unique
> > to Debian and derived distros. There is no general solution to such a
> > problem and I'm pretty convinced one isn't feasible.
>
> When I said cross-platform, I meant the program that generates the
> custom ISO, though it seems you have more of the "FAI" and "configure
> IN Ubuntu" idea. In other words, a Windows user could download a
> program that takes the desired specs and creates an ISO to their
> liking so they can install it. However, I see your point, this should
> be more about automated, custom, easy to deploy UBUNTU centric
> software.

The answering the questions part of the process should be cross-platform. My
current intent is to steal <-<-<-<- leverage kirkland's VM configuration
script to get me started so it'll be a javascript thing that should run in
any browser. That's the theory anyway. No actual code has been harmed yet.

Scott K