Old 06-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Dave Walker

Default 8.04 server + ubuntu-xen-server dies under disk load on AMD Opteron

James Dinkel wrote:
<SNIP>

> Have you thought about using KVM instead? I know that doesn't solve
> your problem. But KVM is built into the standard linux kernel. Xen
> is a fork of the linux kernel. So KVM should work just as reliably as
> your typical linux install.

I would also consider converting from Xen to KVM, however i've been
unable to produce routed networking using the scripts provided with
KVM+Libvirt.

Kind Regards,
Dave Walker

Old 06-18-2008, 11:32 PM
David Kempe

James Dinkel wrote:

> Have you thought about using KVM instead? I know that doesn't solve
> your problem. But KVM is built into the standard linux kernel. Xen
> is a fork of the linux kernel. So KVM should work just as reliably as
> your typical linux install.

Also along the same line of recommendation - have you considered OpenVZ?
If you have all linux guests, the OpenVZ container approach is far more
performant. We have converted our whole hosting environment from Xen to
OpenVZ because of poor disk and network performance with Xen. Haven't
looked back - its been awesome.

Sorry to not actually fix your problem though (I think someone else
has in this thread)

thanks

dave