Old 06-16-2008, 08:35 PM
"James Dinkel"

Default Recommended SATA card?

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 3:03 PM, David Abrahams
<dave@boost-consulting.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to expand the internal disk capacity on my server, and all my mobo's 4
> SATA ports are occupied. Can anyone recommend an SATA card that will work well
> with Ubuntu?

The controller is going to be the issue here. Any brands of cards
that use the same controller are going to be equally supported. You
could check what controller is on your motherboard and try to get a
card with that same controller. However, the Promise SATA controller
is very popular and I *believe* is well supported in linux.

James

Old 06-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Ante Karamatic

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:35:01 -0500
"James Dinkel" <jdinkel@gmail.com> wrote:

> The controller is going to be the issue here. Any brands of cards
> that use the same controller are going to be equally supported. You
> could check what controller is on your motherboard and try to get a
> card with that same controller. However, the Promise SATA controller
> is very popular and I *believe* is well supported in linux.

Promise will bring you bad results. I would suggest 3ware. LSI/Intel
will also work, but as Promise, provide bad results :/

Note that I'm talking about RAID cards...

Old 06-16-2008, 09:34 PM
"Kienan Stewart"

3ware cards are a good choice, and work very well in my experience.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:40 PM
David Abrahams

on Mon Jun 16 2008, Ante Karamatic <ivoks-AT-grad.hr> wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:35:01 -0500
> "James Dinkel" <jdinkel@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The controller is going to be the issue here. Any brands of cards
>> that use the same controller are going to be equally supported. You
>> could check what controller is on your motherboard and try to get a
>> card with that same controller. However, the Promise SATA controller
>> is very popular and I *believe* is well supported in linux.
>
> Promise will bring you bad results. I would suggest 3ware. LSI/Intel
> will also work, but as Promise, provide bad results :/
>
> Note that I'm talking about RAID cards...

Actually I don't think I care about hardware RAID. My plan is to use a
NexentaStor VM to run a RAID-Z array, which I guess is technically
software RAID.

My websearches have not shown any overwhelmingly positive 3ware-on-Hardy
reviews. Is there a specific model you would recommend?

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

Old 06-16-2008, 10:13 PM
"Owen Townend"

On 17/06/2008, James Dinkel <jdinkel@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 3:03 PM, David Abrahams
> <dave@boost-consulting.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to expand the internal disk capacity on my server, and all my mobo's 4
> > SATA ports are occupied. Can anyone recommend an SATA card that will work well
> > with Ubuntu?
> >

> The controller is going to be the issue here. Any brands of cards
> that use the same controller are going to be equally supported. You
> could check what controller is on your motherboard and try to get a
> card with that same controller. However, the Promise SATA controller
> is very popular and I *believe* is well supported in linux.
>

> James

Hey,
James is right, the controller is the important part to consider
here for compatability.
If you are only after sata ports and not hardware raid then I'd
suggest the Silicon Image SiL3114/3124 chipset cards (SATA I/II, four
ports). They're supported natively by the kernel, so no third party
drivers needed and I've seen them around for ~US$30/$60 on ebay. The
main drawback of pci sata is IIRC the maximum bandwidth of the pci bus
is roughly 80 MiB/s. If you're after hardware raid but haven't yet
done your research I'd suggest reading the through adaptec's storage
advisor[2] pages, they focus on the tech rather than adaptec specifics
which is handy.

cheers,
Owen.

Footnotes:
--
[1] http://storageadvisors.adaptec.com

Old 06-16-2008, 10:58 PM
Ante Karamatic

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 17:40:04 -0400
David Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:

> My websearches have not shown any overwhelmingly positive
> 3ware-on-Hardy reviews. Is there a specific model you would
> recommend?

All.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:00 AM
David Abrahams

on Mon Jun 16 2008, "Owen Townend" <owen.townend-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17/06/2008, James Dinkel <jdinkel@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 3:03 PM, David Abrahams
>> <dave@boost-consulting.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I need to expand the internal disk capacity on my server, and all my mobo's 4
>> > SATA ports are occupied. Can anyone recommend an SATA card that will work well
>> > with Ubuntu?
>> >

>> The controller is going to be the issue here. Any brands of cards
>> that use the same controller are going to be equally supported. You
>> could check what controller is on your motherboard and try to get a
>> card with that same controller. However, the Promise SATA controller
>> is very popular and I *believe* is well supported in linux.
>>

>> James
>
> Hey,
> James is right, the controller is the important part to consider
> here for compatability.

Duh, for some reason I didn't catch his drift before. Now I think he
was suggesting that I use a card with the same controller chip as my
onboard SATA because I know it works. (Sorry, James!)

> If you are only after sata ports and not hardware raid

That's me.

> then I'd suggest the Silicon Image SiL3114/3124 chipset cards (SATA
> I/II, four ports). They're supported natively by the kernel, so no
> third party drivers needed and I've seen them around for ~US$30/$60 on
> ebay.

That's a lot cheaper than some of the 3ware cards I've seen.

> The main drawback of pci sata is IIRC the maximum bandwidth of
> the pci bus is roughly 80 MiB/s.

Oof. I suppose there's no getting around a limitation like that
one... hmm, is there an SATA controller I can drive with firewire? What
people who care about performance do when their onboard SATA fills up?
Buy an external SATA drive cage that runs over firewire (or some such
thing?)

> If you're after hardware raid but haven't yet done your research I'd
> suggest reading the through adaptec's storage advisor[2] pages, they
> focus on the tech rather than adaptec specifics which is handy.

Well, I've done quite a bit already, but one can always do more
research. When is enough enough? I dunno, but I'm thinking maybe I
should stop here for now and invest the US ~$30/$60 to see how an
SiL3124 card works out.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

Old 06-17-2008, 12:14 AM
"James Dinkel"

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 7:00 PM, David Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:

> Duh, for some reason I didn't catch his drift before. Now I think he
> was suggesting that I use a card with the same controller chip as my
> onboard SATA because I know it works. (Sorry, James!)

That was just ONE possible suggestion. I would do that or go with the
other guys' suggestions of a Silicon Image card.

>> The main drawback of pci sata is IIRC the maximum bandwidth of
>> the pci bus is roughly 80 MiB/s.
>
> Oof. I suppose there's no getting around a limitation like that
> one... hmm, is there an SATA controller I can drive with firewire? What
> people who care about performance do when their onboard SATA fills up?
> Buy an external SATA drive cage that runs over firewire (or some such
> thing?)

Go with a PCI Express card, if your motherboard will support it.

James

Old 06-17-2008, 12:38 AM
"Owen Townend"

On 17/06/2008, David Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:

> on Mon Jun 16 2008, "Owen Townend" <owen.townend-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hey,
> > James is right, the controller is the important part to consider
> > here for compatability.
>

> Duh, for some reason I didn't catch his drift before. Now I think he
> was suggesting that I use a card with the same controller chip as my
> onboard SATA because I know it works. (Sorry, James!)
>

> > If you are only after sata ports and not hardware raid
>

> That's me.
>

> > then I'd suggest the Silicon Image SiL3114/3124 chipset cards (SATA
> > I/II, four ports). They're supported natively by the kernel, so no
> > third party drivers needed and I've seen them around for ~US$30/$60 on
> > ebay.
>

> That's a lot cheaper than some of the 3ware cards I've seen.
>

> > The main drawback of pci sata is IIRC the maximum bandwidth of
> > the pci bus is roughly 80 MiB/s.
>

> Oof. I suppose there's no getting around a limitation like that
> one... hmm, is there an SATA controller I can drive with firewire? What
> people who care about performance do when their onboard SATA fills up?
> Buy an external SATA drive cage that runs over firewire (or some such
> thing?)
>

> > If you're after hardware raid but haven't yet done your research I'd
> > suggest reading the through adaptec's storage advisor[2] pages, they
> > focus on the tech rather than adaptec specifics which is handy.
>

> Well, I've done quite a bit already, but one can always do more
> research. When is enough enough? I dunno, but I'm thinking maybe I
> should stop here for now and invest the US ~$30/$60 to see how an
> SiL3124 card works out.

Hey,
Note, the 80 megabyte per second limit is a realistic limit given on
the aforementioned adaptec pages IIRC. This actually quite close to
the Firewire 800 limit ( 800 megabits per second = 800*10^6/(8*2^20)
~= 95MiB/s theoretical max).
To get around the pci bandwidth limit the options are limited to
PCI-E and PCI-X which should both give ample headroom. I've seen the
SiL3124 chipset in both of these varieties, though they're a little
more expensive.
For me I've gone the PCI route as I was low on storage, not performance.

HTH,
cheers,
Owen.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:02 AM
David Abrahams

on Mon Jun 16 2008, "James Dinkel" <jdinkel-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 7:00 PM, David Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:
>>

>> Duh, for some reason I didn't catch his drift before. Now I think he
>> was suggesting that I use a card with the same controller chip as my
>> onboard SATA because I know it works. (Sorry, James!)
>>

> That was just ONE possible suggestion. I would do that or go with the
> other guys' suggestions of a Silicon Image card.

Thanks for clarifying.

>>> The main drawback of pci sata is IIRC the maximum bandwidth of
>>> the pci bus is roughly 80 MiB/s.
>>
>> Oof. I suppose there's no getting around a limitation like that
>> one... hmm, is there an SATA controller I can drive with firewire? What
>> people who care about performance do when their onboard SATA fills up?
>> Buy an external SATA drive cage that runs over firewire (or some such
>> thing?)
>
> Go with a PCI Express card, if your motherboard will support it.

I have 2 PCIe slots, so that might be the way to go.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing