Old 06-17-2008, 01:08 AM
David Abrahams

Default Recommended SATA card?

on Mon Jun 16 2008, "Owen Townend" <owen.townend-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,

Hey.

> Note, the 80 megabyte per second limit is a realistic limit given on
> the aforementioned adaptec pages IIRC. This actually quite close to
> the Firewire 800 limit ( 800 megabits per second = 800*10^6/(8*2^20)
> ~= 95MiB/s theoretical max).

Yeah, I wasn't thinking.

> To get around the pci bandwidth limit the options are limited to
> PCI-E and PCI-X which should both give ample headroom.

My x16 PCI-E slots should give 4GB/s and my fastest PCI-X slot is 133Mhz
are about 1GB per second. Okay, I guess PCI-X is fast enough for now;
the cards are a lot cheaper than PCI-E cards.

> I've seen the
> SiL3124 chipset in both of these varieties, though they're a little
> more expensive.
>
> For me I've gone the PCI route as I was low on storage, not
> performance.

It's mostly about the storage, but I don't want to limit myself either.

Thanks again, everbody!

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

Old 06-17-2008, 01:21 AM
David Abrahams

on Mon Jun 16 2008, David Abrahams <dave-AT-boostpro.com> wrote:

>> To get around the pci bandwidth limit the options are limited to
>> PCI-E and PCI-X which should both give ample headroom.
>
> My x16 PCI-E slots should give 4GB/s and my fastest PCI-X slot is 133Mhz
> are about 1GB per second. Okay, I guess PCI-X is fast enough for now;
> the cards are a lot cheaper than PCI-E cards.

Hmm, so http://www.addonics.com/products/host_controller/adsa3gx4r.asp
is looking pretty good to me. I like that Ubuntu appears in their list
of compatible linuxes (No Gutsy or Hardy, though; I assume it's just
outdated).

Anyone want to advise me against that one?

Thanks again,

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

Old 06-17-2008, 01:39 AM
"Owen Townend"

On 17/06/2008, David Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:

> on Mon Jun 16 2008, David Abrahams <dave-AT-boostpro.com> wrote:
>
> >> To get around the pci bandwidth limit the options are limited to
> >> PCI-E and PCI-X which should both give ample headroom.
> >
> > My x16 PCI-E slots should give 4GB/s and my fastest PCI-X slot is 133Mhz
> > are about 1GB per second. Okay, I guess PCI-X is fast enough for now;
> > the cards are a lot cheaper than PCI-E cards.
>

> Hmm, so http://www.addonics.com/products/host_controller/adsa3gx4r.asp
> is looking pretty good to me. I like that Ubuntu appears in their list
> of compatible linuxes (No Gutsy or Hardy, though; I assume it's just
> outdated).
>
> Anyone want to advise me against that one?
>
> Thanks again,
>

> --
> Dave Abrahams

Hey,
Ubuntu can quite happily sit in their support list as the Silicon
Image chip has support in the kernel[1]. I haven't had any experience
the Addonics specifically, but card looks to be very similar to the
others using the same chipset and the price is also similar. Looking
to ebay there is something similar for US$30 cheaper and the only
difference looks to be the colour, though sometimes having a known
entity to deal with warranty issues/DOA/etc is worth the premium.

Cheers,
Owen.

Footnotes:
--
[1] From:
http://www.sci-worx.com/support/supportsearchresults.aspx?pid=27&cid=3&ctid=2&osid =1&

"Pre-compiled Linux kernels with driver support for the SiIxxxx SATA
controller chips can be found on the Linux ATA development site:
http://kernel.org/. You must use a kernel version of 2.4.18-14 or
later to have SATA support for the SiI3x12. More recent kernel support
SiI3114, SiI3124, and SiI3132. If your distribution already uses a
current kernel , please use the SiIxxxx driver included with the
dsitribution. "

Old 06-17-2008, 02:26 AM
David Abrahams

on Mon Jun 16 2008, "Owen Townend" <owen.townend-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
> Ubuntu can quite happily sit in their support list as the Silicon
> Image chip has support in the kernel[1]. I haven't had any experience
> the Addonics specifically, but card looks to be very similar to the
> others using the same chipset and the price is also similar. Looking
> to ebay there is something similar for US$30 cheaper and the only
> difference looks to be the colour, though sometimes having a known
> entity to deal with warranty issues/DOA/etc is worth the premium.

Your ebay search fu must be stronger than mine; I'm not seeing any super
deals there, at least not without bidding. I've spent enough of my own
cycles on this now that the $30 isn't worth any more of them ;-), so,
ordering...

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

Old 06-17-2008, 06:12 AM
Serge van Ginderachter

You might want to read the comments on my 3 days old post, which are interesting.

http://www.vanginderachter.be/2008/on-software-vs-hardware-raid/

Areca is less known, but considered better than 3ware in my book. But those are RAID controllers,
on a more high-er end than what you seem to look for.

Serge

Serge van Ginderachter http://www.vanginderachter.be/

Kreeg u een "odt" bestand en kan u deze niet openen? Zie http://ginsys.be/odf

Old 06-17-2008, 01:08 PM

>From: David Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com>
>Date: 2008/06/16 Mon PM 08:00:03 EDT
>To: ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
>Subject: Re: Recommended SATA card?

>on Mon Jun 16 2008, "Owen Townend" <owen.townend-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 17/06/2008, James Dinkel <jdinkel@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>> then I'd suggest the Silicon Image SiL3114/3124 chipset cards (SATA
>> I/II, four ports). They're supported natively by the kernel, so no
>> third party drivers needed and I've seen them around for ~US$30/$60 on
>> ebay.
>
>That's a lot cheaper than some of the 3ware cards I've seen.

The 3Ware cards are hardware RAID, and the Silicon Image cards are (at best) low-end software RAID with horrible performance (in my exp., but that was on Windows Server box with under-powered CPU - I tried to go RAID5 with a Celeron 2.0 GHz and one of these cards, it was horrible)... I assume they make perfectly fine "straight" SATA I/II ports to use with Linux Software RAID - I had fine performance out of the card when used just for SATA port expansion on the same Celeron Win2003 server box.

Ken Hansen

Old 06-17-2008, 01:29 PM
David Abrahams

on Tue Jun 17 2008, <n2vip-AT-verizon.net> wrote:

>>on Mon Jun 16 2008, "Owen Townend" <owen.townend-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 17/06/2008, James Dinkel <jdinkel@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>> then I'd suggest the Silicon Image SiL3114/3124 chipset cards (SATA
>>> I/II, four ports). They're supported natively by the kernel, so no
>>> third party drivers needed and I've seen them around for ~US$30/$60
>>> on ebay.
>>
>>That's a lot cheaper than some of the 3ware cards I've seen.
>
> The 3Ware cards are hardware RAID, and the Silicon Image cards are (at
> best) low-end software RAID with horrible performance (in my exp., but
> that was on Windows Server box with under-powered CPU - I tried to go
> RAID5 with a Celeron 2.0 GHz and one of these cards, it was
> horrible)... I assume they make perfectly fine "straight" SATA I/II
> ports to use with Linux Software RAID - I had fine performance out of
> the card when used just for SATA port expansion on the same Celeron
> Win2003 server box.

Well, as I said, I'm going to be using RAID-Z, but I think it's the same
principle as linux software RAID.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

Old 06-18-2008, 03:57 PM
"Jim Tarvid"

I have two NIB SATA cards which I do not anticipate using. Any reasonable offer which exceeds shipping cost will be acceptable.

1) 3ware 8000 series SATA RAID Controller 8006-2LP.

2) PB3124-2SATA300 PCI-X 4 port Host Controller SiI 3124

Jim Tarvid

http://ls.net