-   -   JeOS support/documentation for gutsy, plans for hardy (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-server-development/1056-jeos-support-documentation-gutsy-plans-hardy.html)

Neal McBurnett 11-20-2007 06:20 AM

JeOS support/documentation for gutsy, plans for hardy

I think it would be timely to talk some more about JeOS, so I put this
on the agenda for tomorrow:

JeOS support/documentation for gutsy, plans for hardy

We've got a nice press release and coverage, but not much helpful
stuff for users.

Here are a few links and thoughts.

Announcement:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2007-November/000106.html

See e.g. https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu-jeos/+bug/163786
and existing discussion at

for the sorts of questions that many users are bringing up.

Gutsy JeOS documentation:
Use a wiki page to talk about the .iso and linux-virtual kernel
and ubuntu-jeos-builder?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JeOS ?
(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM is very helpful on networking....)

Mailing list - need a separate list to better include users?
and use the server team list for development?

Backport of ubuntu-jeos-builder to gutsy? Use ppas?
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-jeos/
Already much more fun/useful than the ISO I think.

Neal McBurnett http://mcburnett.org/neal/

Mathias Gug 11-21-2007 07:43 PM

JeOS support/documentation for gutsy, plans for hardy

Hi Neal,

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 12:20:12AM -0700, Neal McBurnett wrote:
> I think it would be timely to talk some more about JeOS, so I put this
> on the agenda for tomorrow:
>
> JeOS support/documentation for gutsy, plans for hardy

Thanks for bringing this up. There was a discussion during the IRC meeting
about various points, but nothing conclusive emerged. So I'm bringing
this back to the mailing list.

> Gutsy JeOS documentation:
> Use a wiki page to talk about the .iso and linux-virtual kernel
> and ubuntu-jeos-builder?
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JeOS ?
> (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM is very helpful on networking....)

It seems that the biggest problem is documentation. Starting with a wiki
page seems to be a first step in that direction.

An important point that needs to be clarified is the difference between
Ubuntu JeOS used as a guest vm and the infrastructure used to generate
virtual machines or isos.

nijaba volunteered to write a tutorial for JeOS and agreed to use a wiki
page for his work (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JeOS ??).

> Mailing list - need a separate list to better include users?
> and use the server team list for development?

I think for now using ubuntu-server as the mailing list is enough. If
things start to get too noisy here, we can always create an extra mailing
list. Link to this mailing list should be added to the documentation.

> Backport of ubuntu-jeos-builder to gutsy? Use ppas?
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-jeos/
> Already much more fun/useful than the ISO I think.

I've seen some code activity on the project in the last few days. Links
to bzr branches should be added to the documentation.

There was also some discussion about new features. soren mentioned that
these should be tracked by filing new bugs on Launchpad:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-jeos/+new.

--
Mathias

Neal McBurnett 11-21-2007 08:28 PM

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 03:43:27PM -0500, Mathias Gug wrote:
> Hi Neal,
>
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 12:20:12AM -0700, Neal McBurnett wrote:
> > I think it would be timely to talk some more about JeOS, so I put this
> > on the agenda for tomorrow:
> >
> > JeOS support/documentation for gutsy, plans for hardy
> >

> Thanks for bringing this up. There was a discussion during the IRC meeting
> about various points, but nothing conclusive emerged. So I'm bringing
> this back to the mailing list.

I think it was a very helpful discussion about a great project.
Thankd for the followup.

> > Gutsy JeOS documentation:
> > Use a wiki page to talk about the .iso and linux-virtual kernel
> > and ubuntu-jeos-builder?
> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JeOS ?
> > (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM is very helpful on networking....)
>
> It seems that the biggest problem is documentation. Starting with a wiki
> page seems to be a first step in that direction.
>
> An important point that needs to be clarified is the difference between
> Ubuntu JeOS used as a guest vm and the infrastructure used to generate
> virtual machines or isos.
>
> nijaba volunteered to write a tutorial for JeOS and agreed to use a wiki
> page for his work (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JeOS ??).

Yes - thanks! I'd suggest considering these pages (or sections if they
don't warrent pages) to help separate the concepts:

Definitions, overview, linux-virtual kernel diffs, .iso
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JeOS

and a howto for ubuntu-jeos-builder or whatever we call it, which
should probably be at wiki.ubuntu.com rather than help.ubuntu.com
since it is really in development.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JeOS-Builder ??

and perhaps quick HowTo's running thru the use of
the iso (and builder?) with qemu, xen, vmware etc in
sub pages like this, with links to the more extensive pages
on those technologies elsewhere:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/JeOS/Qemu

> > Mailing list - need a separate list to better include users?
> > and use the server team list for development?
>
> I think for now using ubuntu-server as the mailing list is enough. If
> things start to get too noisy here, we can always create an extra mailing
> list. Link to this mailing list should be added to the documentation.

Sounds like a good place to start. But I sugggest we should be
conscious of both the sensitivity to extra jeos traffic for the
ubuntu-server folks, and the possible desire from jeos users who
don't want the extra server traffic to have a more dedicated list.
But that can wait for their requests....

> > Backport of ubuntu-jeos-builder to gutsy? Use ppas?
> > https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-jeos/
> > Already much more fun/useful than the ISO I think.
>
> I've seen some code activity on the project in the last few days. Links
> to bzr branches should be added to the documentation.

Good for now.

> There was also some discussion about new features. soren mentioned that
> these should be tracked by filing new bugs on Launchpad:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-jeos/+new.

Yup!

Neal McBurnett http://mcburnett.org/neal/