Old 06-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Serge van Ginderachter

Default Ubuntu server supported file systems

Hi,

I was wondering if there was some 'official' documentation on supported file systems.

- Which ones are supported (in Hardy)
- Which ones are recommended for certain uses?

Normally I tend to stick to the default ext3 for most cases, but for a project I'm looking into servers which will need large (as in >2TB) file systems, and I am looking for all Ubuntu specific documentation on the subject. I'm not looking for generic info, I have plenty on the web available.

Thx,

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Serge van Ginderachter

Ginsys ICT Systems
Stuiver 32 - 9950 Waarschoot
http://www.ginsys.be/contact

Kreeg u een "odt" bestand en kan u deze niet openen? Zie http://ginsys.be/odf

Old 06-11-2008, 01:04 PM
Carsten Aulbert

Hi

Serge van Ginderachter wrote:

> - Which ones are supported (in Hardy)

Well obviously all which are in the kernel.

> - Which ones are recommended for certain uses?

Depends on you usage. OK, I guess you did not want to hear this.

> Normally I tend to stick to the default ext3 for most cases, but for a project I'm looking into servers which will need large (as in >2TB) file systems, and I am looking for all Ubuntu specific documentation on the subject. I'm not looking for generic info, I have plenty on the web available.

ext3 is the conservative good choice, even beyond 2 TB AFAIK (I think up
to 32 TB are supported).

We had some issues with reiser3, very good speed, but when it crashes to
hard, we had no chance to get anything back from it.

Right now we are running about 300 TB on xfs and so far are pretty happy
with it (though are quite a few people at CERN). Good performance and
good stability on recent Linux kernels. Just make sure that you have
write barriers enabled (default since 2.6.18(?)).

HTH

Carsten

--
Dr. Carsten Aulbert - Max Planck Institut für Gravitationsphysik
Callinstraße 38, 30167 Hannover, Germany

Old 06-11-2008, 03:51 PM
"Daniel Robitaille"

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 9:04 AM, Carsten Aulbert
<carsten.aulbert@aei.mpg.de> wrote:

> ext3 is the conservative good choice, even beyond 2 TB AFAIK (I think up
> to 32 TB are supported).
>
> We had some issues with reiser3, very good speed, but when it crashes to
> hard, we had no chance to get anything back from it.
>
> Right now we are running about 300 TB on xfs and so far are pretty happy
> with it (though are quite a few people at CERN). Good performance and
> good stability on recent Linux kernels. Just make sure that you have
> write barriers enabled (default since 2.6.18(?)).

since we already had some AIX servers running here, we decided to give
IBM's JFS a try last year. While we don't have anywhere near 300 TB,
but JFS has been running fine for us.

Which filesystem to use always seem to bring up the "vi vs emacs" type
of debate, and if you start asking on lists or googling online, you
will fine success and horor stories for every type of filesystems out
there depending who you listen to.

--
Daniel Robitaille
http://friendfeed.com/robitaille