Old 06-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Ante Karamatic

Default Ubuntu/Debian will not install, CentOS will

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:00:42 -0400
"Brett Alton" <brett.jr.alton@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is 3ware 9650SE-2LP raid card and it is only hardware SATA raid
> card out there.

It's probably the best one, but it's not the only one. 3ware only has
couple of SATA RAID series(!).

And that card is supported since at least 7.10 version.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:02 AM
Carsten Aulbert

Hi all,

James Dinkel wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Brett Alton <brett.jr.alton@gmail.com> wrote:
>> As for informing community, I am sure they got plenty of that.
>> This is 3ware 9650SE-2LP raid card and it is only hardware SATA raid
>> card out there.
>>

> While I can't say much about your actual problem, I do know that is
> not the only SATA raid card. LSI makes a great hardware SATA raid
> card. I have several, but they are all in Redhat machines (sorry,
> Ubuntu is still my favorite though).

Yes, also Areca makes nice RAID6 cards.

I just checked and the hardy kernel (and as far as I recall) all kernels
from the past two years include drivers for 3Ware 9xxx cards. I have one
box running with a 2.6.24 kernel with a larger 3Ware controller:

09:00.0 0104: 13c1:1004 (rev 01)
Subsystem: 13c1:1004
Memory at d8000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=32M]
Memory at da300000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
I/O ports at 4000 [size=256]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at da320000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
Queue=0/5 Enable-
Capabilities: [70] Express Legacy Endpoint IRQ 0
Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting

I need to dig out the right numbers but it's the 24 port version of the
9650.

HTH

Carsten

Old 06-11-2008, 10:01 AM
Matt Darcy

Ante Karamatic wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:00:42 -0400
> "Brett Alton" <brett.jr.alton@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> This is 3ware 9650SE-2LP raid card and it is only hardware SATA raid
>> card out there.
>>

> It's probably the best one, but it's not the only one. 3ware only has
> couple of SATA RAID series(!).
>
> And that card is supported since at least 7.10 version.

the specific card, and the driver they where using would be most
appriciated. The LSI and 3Ware cards do have stock kernel modules, so
I'd be surprised if they where dropped, more so from the server kernel.

Exact info would be really useful on this.

Matt

Old 06-11-2008, 03:08 PM
"Kienan Stewart"

Hi Brett, at the company where I work we use a number of 3Ware RAID cards in our servers running Ubuntu. They have worked flawlessly, without the need to install additional kernel modules. The cards run basically all the sata devices, and are set up before Ubuntu is booted or installed (for 3ware it seems to be alt-3 to enter their setup menu after your computer's bios is done with it's job).

Additionally, there are source files available with the discs should you feel the need to build a kernel module.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:45 PM
"Brett Alton"

Hi everyone,

I'm asking the technician to provide more information on the card and
describe what version of Ubuntu server he is using. I assumed he was
using 8.04 since it is the latest LTS and he was describing kernel
2.6.24, but we'll just have to wait and see!

Love the response time and interest, thank you!

--
Brett Alton
brett.jr.alton@gmail.com

Do you really need to print this email? Help preserve our environment!

Old 06-11-2008, 07:24 PM
"Brett Alton"

Here is his response:

Brett I have very little experience with Ubuntu, except that
I know that this card did not work with version that I tried, not more
than few months ago.

3ware 9XXX driver is in kernel forever. However this is new card, new
interface, it is still 9000 series
but it does not work with old driver. This card has PCI Express 1X
connector and old ones have plain old PCI.
Those people know lots about Ubuntu and not much about card that is at
the issue.
I know nothing about Ubuntu but I happen to have tested it with the card.
It is not that driver was dropped, it was just not good enough anymore.

I do know lots about Suse, and I can tell you that Suse always worked
with all 3Ware cards out of the box.
No exception until 9650SE came out. Suse distributions up to 10.2 did not know
what to do with the card. 10.3 however finds and installs it fine now.

Only reason why I tried Ubuntu was because I was looking for Suse
alternatives as
stock driver was not supporting those cards anymore. And I clearly
remember results.
CentOS on other hand was working fine, also it was what was requested
on this server.
Things change all the time. It is perfectly possible that Ubuntu does
support it now.
3ware cards are excellent and I can not see any distribution not
supporting them.
It is just thing of new hardware and catching up to it...

Old 06-11-2008, 07:45 PM
Ante Karamatic

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 15:24:48 -0400
"Brett Alton" <brett.jr.alton@gmail.com> wrote:

> Brett I have very little experience with Ubuntu, except that
> I know that this card did not work with version that I tried, not more
> than few months ago.

He probably tried 6.06, which was released before that card was even
produced and, of course, 6.06 doesn't support it.

> 3ware 9XXX driver is in kernel forever. However this is new card, new
> interface, it is still 9000 series

It's not that new, it's almost 2 years old. On can say that it's from
9xxx series, cause of the name, but support for this card required a
big change in driver, not only product ID.

> Those people know lots about Ubuntu and not much about card that is at
> the issue.

Lol... One of those 'People' have more than 20 of those cards all over
the world, with Ubuntu on those servers

> Things change all the time. It is perfectly possible that Ubuntu does
> support it now.

Here is a patch for 6.06:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-team/2007-February/001262.html

I've just checked, this card is supported since 7.04.