Old 06-10-2008, 08:00 PM
"Brett Alton"

Default Ubuntu/Debian will not install, CentOS will

I recently got a job administering a CentOS server. It is my first
time on any kind of Linux OS besides Ubuntu/Debian so I was sort of
reserved in accepting the contract.

The server has is not running any services but is installed and
configured so since I'm setting up the critical applications, I
decided to ask if they could wipe it from CentOS to Ubuntu.

They told me they support Ubuntu (usually) but recently Ubuntu/Debian
no longer installs on their servers because of a RAID driver being
dropping in the kernel.

I've asked the technician for some details on the problem, so I'm
hoping we can help him (and us) by getting our name back in the large
web-hosting company.

The technician:
====

Raid card is very common.
Old PCI version was supported everywhere in default kernel.
New version is PCI - 1X and it is simple to install just it is not in
default kernel.
So we noticed in process of kernel upgrade custom drivers get dropped and server
does not reboot. This is not big deal with someone's workstation but with
datacentar full of servers we can not take this risk.

As for informing community, I am sure they got plenty of that.
This is 3ware 9650SE-2LP raid card and it is only hardware SATA raid
card out there.
We use those in almost every server that we deploy unless we have
specific SCSI requests.

====

Thanks for your help.

--
Brett Alton
brett.jr.alton@gmail.com

Do you really need to print this email? Help preserve our environment!

Old 06-10-2008, 08:11 PM
"James Dinkel"

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Brett Alton <brett.jr.alton@gmail.com> wrote:

> As for informing community, I am sure they got plenty of that.
> This is 3ware 9650SE-2LP raid card and it is only hardware SATA raid
> card out there.

While I can't say much about your actual problem, I do know that is
not the only SATA raid card. LSI makes a great hardware SATA raid
card. I have several, but they are all in Redhat machines (sorry,
Ubuntu is still my favorite though).

James

Old 06-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Mathias Gug

Hi Brett,

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 04:00:42PM -0400, Brett Alton wrote:
> They told me they support Ubuntu (usually) but recently Ubuntu/Debian
> no longer installs on their servers because of a RAID driver being
> dropping in the kernel.

Which version of Ubuntu are they refering to ? Which version had the
correct driver ? Which one dropped support for it ?

> This is 3ware 9650SE-2LP raid card and it is only hardware SATA raid
> card out there.

Have you looked in Launchpad for bugs against that card ?

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com