Old 06-09-2008, 07:19 PM
"Andrew Hodgson"

Default Ubuntu 8.04 as LAMP machine?

Hi,

*

Posted this to Ubuntu-users to start off with, but got
redirected here.

*

I am interested in deploying Ubuntu as a LAMP machine.*
I have mostly in the past used Debian machines, but some of our web developers
want to use a higher version of PHP (at least 5.2.4), and Etch comes with an
older release.

*

What is the general stability of the Ubuntu packages such as
Apache etc like?* I took a brief look at the server, and it seems like
some of the packages are coming from Lenny?* What are the differences
between the Debian and Ubuntu Apache/PHP/MySQL packages?

*

Thanks.

Andrew.

*

Old 06-09-2008, 08:08 PM
"Luke L"

Ubuntu gets its packages for new releases from Debian unstable.
However, the community is large and any bugs are taken care of
promptly, esp. on the server side.

Hardy, being an LTS release, will receive regular updates and support
for the next 5 years.

As far as the diff between Deb and Ubuntu AMP packages, well, Ubuntu
will have a later version. Also, Ubuntu's AMP install is very easy to
get up and running. It is toggled at OS install time, or by running
"tasksel" at console. Within minutes you'll have MySQL, PHP, and
apache2 running on your server.

Of course, tweaking is always as easy as in Debian.

On 6/9/08, Andrew Hodgson <andrew@hodgsonfamily.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Posted this to Ubuntu-users to start off with, but got redirected here.
>

> I am interested in deploying Ubuntu as a LAMP machine. I have mostly in the
> past used Debian machines, but some of our web developers want to use a
> higher version of PHP (at least 5.2.4), and Etch comes with an older
> release.
>

> What is the general stability of the Ubuntu packages such as Apache etc
> like? I took a brief look at the server, and it seems like some of the
> packages are coming from Lenny? What are the differences between the Debian
> and Ubuntu Apache/PHP/MySQL packages?
>

> Thanks.
>
> Andrew.

Luke L.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:09 PM
"Luke L"

P.S. I'm not an Ubuntu expert, merely an enthusiast. If you need more
gritty details, wait for a dev to reply. However, as Ubuntu's packages
are based on Debian, most technical details will be identical.

--
Luke L.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:45 PM
"L.M.J"

Le Mon, 9 Jun 2008 20:19:08 +0100,
"Andrew Hodgson" <andrew@hodgsonfamily.org> a écrit :

> What is the general stability of the Ubuntu packages such as Apache etc
> like? I took a brief look at the server, and it seems like some of the
> packages are coming from Lenny? What are the differences between the
> Debian and Ubuntu Apache/PHP/MySQL packages?

Hello Andrew,

I'm running an huge intranet server under Ubuntu LAMP. I have to stay it's just stable. Well, I have to
admit I haven't found any commun Linux distro unstable so far...
Just like Debian, the Ubuntu LAMP packaging and installation is simple, fast, smooth & well done. Updates
are done in the right time.
It's just good, check by yourself

Old 06-09-2008, 08:47 PM
"Andrew Hodgson"

>> What is the general stability of the Ubuntu packages such as Apache
>> etc like? I took a brief look at the server, and it seems like some
>> of the packages are coming from Lenny? What are the differences
>> between the Debian and Ubuntu Apache/PHP/MySQL packages?

> I'm running an huge intranet server under Ubuntu LAMP. I have to stay it's just stable. Well, I have to admit >I haven't found any commun Linux distro unstable so far...

Ok. I will be running around 20-30 public facing websites from this box.

Thanks.
Andrew.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:05 PM
"Andrew Hodgson"

Luke L wrote:

>Ubuntu gets its packages for new releases from Debian unstable.
>However, the community is large and any bugs are taken care of
>promptly, esp. on the server side.

Ok. That is what I imagined.

>Hardy, being an LTS release, will receive regular updates and support
>for the next 5 years.

I am aware of that.

>As far as the diff between Deb and Ubuntu AMP packages, well, Ubuntu
>will have a later version. Also, Ubuntu's AMP install is very easy to
>get up and running. It is toggled at OS install time, or by running
>"tasksel" at console. Within minutes you'll have MySQL, PHP, and
>apache2 running on your server.

What is the difference between using tasksel and apt-get install apache2
php5 php5-mysql etc?

I just got up a VM on my machine at home with a standard 8.04 install,
with the LAMP option installed by the install script. It gave me this:

Server: Apache/2.2.8 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.4-2ubuntu5.1 with Suhosin-Patch

SO I need to check with the webdevs that the patch will work ok with our
apps, though it looks like this is going on with 5.2.4 PHP builds in
Lenny also...

What is the difference between a standard Debian network install (with
no extra packages chosen), and a default Ubuntu install with no options
in Tasksel chosen?

Andrew.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:07 PM
Ante Karamatic

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 21:47:27 +0100
"Andrew Hodgson" <andrew@hodgsonfamily.org> wrote:

> Ok. I will be running around 20-30 public facing websites from this
> box.

If it helps, I run over 50 public web sites from single machine. On the
other hand, I also run one public site on 6 machines.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:16 PM
"Luke L"

>>What is the difference between using tasksel and apt-get install apache2
>>php5 php5-mysql etc?

As far as I know, tasksel integrates all the services and sets them up
with default options. To be honest, I've never setup each component
separately (In Linux).

--
Luke L.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:32 PM
"Brett Alton"

> What is the difference between using tasksel and apt-get install apache2
> php5 php5-mysql etc?
>
> I just got up a VM on my machine at home with a standard 8.04 install,
> with the LAMP option installed by the install script. It gave me this:
>
> Server: Apache/2.2.8 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.4-2ubuntu5.1 with Suhosin-Patch
>
> SO I need to check with the webdevs that the patch will work ok with our
> apps, though it looks like this is going on with 5.2.4 PHP builds in
> Lenny also...
>
> What is the difference between a standard Debian network install (with
> no extra packages chosen), and a default Ubuntu install with no options
> in Tasksel chosen?
>
> Andrew.

You can actually see the physical code changes by search for packages
in Ubuntu's Launchpad.

For example:

Apache2: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apache2
PHP5: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/php5

If you click on a release number, it will provide you with three files:

* apache2_2.2.8.orig.tar.gz (5.8 MiB)
* apache2_2.2.8-4ubuntu2.diff.gz (128.2 KiB) <-- this is the
difference between Debian and Ubuntu in diff/patch format
* apache2_2.2.8-4ubuntu2.dsc (1.7 KiB)

Other than that, there isn't any difference between installing a LAMP
package using the installer, tasksel or aptitude, one merely gives you
more freedom than the other.

For example, I may just want a plan ol', unconfigured Ubuntu server up
in VMware so I can copy it as a default and re-use it for many many
applications and testbeds, each with its own specific need.

You can of course use the installer if you prefer or tasksel like so:

sudo tasksel install lamp-server

I also like to run a script like this to set up my localhost on a
desktop machine:

#----------
# Install Apache, PHP, MySQL and phpMyAdmin
sudo aptitude install apache2 php5 mysql-server phpmyadmin &&

# Remove Apache's default web directory
sudo rm /var/www &&

# Create a localhost folder for the current user
mkdir $HOME/localhost &&

# Link Apache's default web directory to localhost in the current user's home
sudo ln -s /var/www $HOME/localhost &&

# Link phpmyadmin to http://localhost/admin
ln -s /usr/share/phpmyadmin $HOME/localhost/admin

Its all preference!

--
Brett Alton
brett.jr.alton@gmail.com

Do you really need to print this email? Help preserve our environment!