Old 06-08-2008, 07:38 AM
Matt Darcy

Default Offtopic : Posting "to" the list, correct policy ?

Guy,

I use message filters/rules to seperate the multiple lists I subscribe
to, the last few weeks my filters have stopped working on the server
list (mostly), the reason for this is that
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com is never / rarley actually in the "to"
section of the message, normally people tend to reply to the original
poster, then CC in the list ?

This seems like a bad idea to me as 9/10 the original poster is on the
ubuntu-server list, and will get it the message, then get it again from
the lists.

Is there a policy on this sort of thing for posting to the list or am I
being over fussy ?

Matt

Old 06-08-2008, 08:03 AM
"Justin M. Wray"

Is there a reason you are not filtering for the CC line?

I never get two copies or replies.

Details?

Thanks,
Justin M. Wray
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Old 06-08-2008, 08:10 AM
Ante Karamatic

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 08:38:54 +0100
Matt Darcy <ubuntu.lists@projecthugo.co.uk> wrote:

> Is there a policy on this sort of thing for posting to the list or am
> I being over fussy ?

Filter lists by 'List-Id:' header. Use smart e-mail clients that are
aware of mailing lists and have something like 'Ctrl+l' which replies
only to the mailing list(s).

Old 06-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Matt Darcy

Ante Karamatic wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 08:38:54 +0100
> Matt Darcy <ubuntu.lists@projecthugo.co.uk> wrote:
>

>> Is there a policy on this sort of thing for posting to the list or am
>> I being over fussy ?
>>

> Filter lists by 'List-Id:' header. Use smart e-mail clients that are
> aware of mailing lists and have something like 'Ctrl+l' which replies
> only to the mailing list(s).

Sorry Guys,

I wasn't saying "please do this to make my filtering work" thats quite
straight forward to resolve, more just asking about the policy which I
noticed due to the filtering failing.

Matt

Old 06-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 11:21:07 +0100 Matt Darcy
<ubuntu.lists@projecthugo.co.uk> wrote:
>Ante Karamatic wrote:
>> On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 08:38:54 +0100
>> Matt Darcy <ubuntu.lists@projecthugo.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>> Is there a policy on this sort of thing for posting to the list or am
>>> I being over fussy ?
>>>

>> Filter lists by 'List-Id:' header. Use smart e-mail clients that are
>> aware of mailing lists and have something like 'Ctrl+l' which replies
>> only to the mailing list(s).
>>

>Sorry Guys,
>
>I wasn't saying "please do this to make my filtering work" thats quite
>straight forward to resolve, more just asking about the policy which I
>noticed due to the filtering failing.
>
>Matt

This is standard for all Ubuntu ML. This is a topic that comes up
periodically an all mail lists it seems and someone won't like it no matter
which choice you pick.

You are free to set the reply to in your messages to the list if you care
to. That will give you what you are after for at least messages you send.

This is a lose, lose proposition for mailing list admins.

I do wish we had a clean rule (like Debian does) that you should send just
to the list unless people request it.

Scott K

Old 06-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Matt Darcy

Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 11:21:07 +0100 Matt Darcy
> <ubuntu.lists@projecthugo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Ante Karamatic wrote:

>>> Filter lists by 'List-Id:' header. Use smart e-mail clients that are
>>> aware of mailing lists and have something like 'Ctrl+l' which replies
>>> only to the mailing list(s).
>>>

>> Sorry Guys,
>>
>> I wasn't saying "please do this to make my filtering work" thats quite
>> straight forward to resolve, more just asking about the policy which I
>> noticed due to the filtering failing.
>>
>> Matt
>>

> This is standard for all Ubuntu ML. This is a topic that comes up
> periodically an all mail lists it seems and someone won't like it no matter
> which choice you pick.
>
> You are free to set the reply to in your messages to the list if you care
> to. That will give you what you are after for at least messages you send.
>
> This is a lose, lose proposition for mailing list admins.
>
> I do wish we had a clean rule (like Debian does) that you should send just
> to the list unless people request it.
>
> Scott K

Scott,

not a critisism/complaint.

I've only just come on board the ubuntu mailing lists, and couldn't see
a policy for it, and the various methods I'm seeing people use
(highlighted by the mail filters failing) I just thought I'd ask what
the policy was as it wasn't clear.

Matt

Old 06-08-2008, 02:33 PM
"Leandro Pereira de Lima e Silva"

If the Reply-To header of the mail forwarded by the list was changed to the list's address, that wouldn't happen.

Today, to make most of the e-mail clients to put the address of the list on the To (actually CC) field, you have to click on Reply To All.

The other lists I participate have the list e-mail address in the Reply-To field. It would be nice if the same occurred here.

Leandro

Old 06-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 15:31:06 +0100 Matt Darcy
<ubuntu.lists@projecthugo.co.uk> wrote:
>Scott,
>
>not a critisism/complaint.
>
>I've only just come on board the ubuntu mailing lists, and couldn't see
>a policy for it, and the various methods I'm seeing people use
>(highlighted by the mail filters failing) I just thought I'd ask what
>the policy was as it wasn't clear.
>
>Matt

I didn't intend the last to be a criticism, just to let you know how I
think things stand.

Scott K

Old 06-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Karl Goetz

On Sun, 2008-06-08 at 10:10 +0200, Ante Karamatic wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 08:38:54 +0100
> Matt Darcy <ubuntu.lists@projecthugo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Is there a policy on this sort of thing for posting to the list or am
> > I being over fussy ?
>
> Filter lists by 'List-Id:' header. Use smart e-mail clients that are
> aware of mailing lists and have something like 'Ctrl+l' which replies
> only to the mailing list(s).

One problem is the default main client in ubuntu (evolution) doesnt have
a 'reply to list', so the only way is to hit reply-all, remove the
persons name, and cut+paste the cc line into the to: line.
kind of annoying really.
(if theres a reply-to-list and i haent noticed it i'll be thrilled to
have it pointed out though ....)
kk

--
Karl Goetz <karl@kgoetz.id.au>

Old 06-09-2008, 12:12 AM
"Leandro Pereira de Lima e Silva"

That's a good point but I'd rather change the Reply-To field and make everyone happy then have to use an specific mail client.

Cheers, Leandro.