Old 06-09-2008, 01:12 AM
Scott Kitterman

Default Offtopic : Posting "to" the list, correct policy ?

On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 09:32:26 +0930 Karl Goetz <karl@kgoetz.id.au> wrote:
>On Sun, 2008-06-08 at 10:10 +0200, Ante Karamatic wrote:
>> On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 08:38:54 +0100
>> Matt Darcy <ubuntu.lists@projecthugo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> > Is there a policy on this sort of thing for posting to the list or am
>> > I being over fussy ?
>>
>> Filter lists by 'List-Id:' header. Use smart e-mail clients that are
>> aware of mailing lists and have something like 'Ctrl+l' which replies
>> only to the mailing list(s).
>
>One problem is the default main client in ubuntu (evolution) doesnt have
>a 'reply to list', so the only way is to hit reply-all, remove the
>persons name, and cut+paste the cc line into the to: line.
>kind of annoying really.
>(if theres a reply-to-list and i haent noticed it i'll be thrilled to
>have it pointed out though ....)
>kk

It's been standard in Kmail/Kontact for years. Yet another reason not to
Evolution....

As I said in an earlier post in the thread, people argue this both ways.
The alternative view tends to be that mail list handlers shouldn't modify
the reply to set by a sender.

Snappermail (which I use on my phone) suffers from the same limitation, so
I feel your pain. I do not, however think mail lists should be configured
based on the feature set of any particular mail client.

Scott K

Old 06-09-2008, 01:14 AM
Scott Kitterman

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 21:12:17 -0300 "Leandro Pereira de Lima e Silva"
<leandro@limaesilva.com.br> wrote:
>That's a good point but I'd rather change the Reply-To field and make
>everyone happy then have to use an specific mail client.

Please don't assume 'everyone' agrees with your opinion. I think that the
current configuration is more correct.

Scott K

Old 06-09-2008, 01:50 AM
"Leandro Pereira de Lima e Silva"

Sure I don't. I can only speak for myself.

All the other mail lists I've ever participated worked the way I said, but sure there is got to be a good reason to do this way.

Leandro

Old 06-09-2008, 04:58 AM
Ante Karamatic

On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 09:32:26 +0930
Karl Goetz <karl@kgoetz.id.au> wrote:

> One problem is the default main client in ubuntu (evolution) doesnt
> have a 'reply to list', so the only way is to hit reply-all, remove
> the persons name, and cut+paste the cc line into the to: line.

It does. Ctrl+L.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:56 PM
"James Dinkel"

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 3:10 AM, Ante Karamatic <ivoks@grad.hr> wrote:

> Filter lists by 'List-Id:' header. Use smart e-mail clients that are
> aware of mailing lists and have something like 'Ctrl+l' which replies
> only to the mailing list(s).

What email clients would be considered "smart" for mailing lists? I
actually use the gmail web interface and if anyone has any tips for
using it with mailing lists, I'd love to here them. Right now my
solution has been to Reply-to-all and then cut the list address out of
the Cc: line and paste it over whatever is in the To: line, but
sometimes I forget.

James

Old 06-09-2008, 02:13 PM
"Luke L"

I'd like to know as well. btw I don't even cut the CC to the To, I
just delete the To line. Works for me (in gmail).

On 6/9/08, James Dinkel <jdinkel@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 3:10 AM, Ante Karamatic <ivoks@grad.hr> wrote:
> >
> > Filter lists by 'List-Id:' header. Use smart e-mail clients that are
> > aware of mailing lists and have something like 'Ctrl+l' which replies
> > only to the mailing list(s).
> >

> What email clients would be considered "smart" for mailing lists? I
> actually use the gmail web interface and if anyone has any tips for
> using it with mailing lists, I'd love to here them. Right now my
> solution has been to Reply-to-all and then cut the list address out of
> the Cc: line and paste it over whatever is in the To: line, but
> sometimes I forget.
>
> James

Luke L.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:16 PM
"Leandro Pereira de Lima e Silva"

The same here with me. I imagine that a lot of people use Gmail.

Cheers, Leandro.