Old 06-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Nick Webb

Default NFS Timeouts

Hi All -

On a Linux email server (postfix/courier-imap) I'm NFS mounting /home
and seeing the occasional error like:

Jun 5 11:37:06 localhost kernel: [ 9924.401601] nfs: server
192.168.18.2 not responding, timed out

At first I suspected network issues, so to isolate that I've put in a
crossover cable between the two hosts and setup a dedicated private
network just for NFS. Problem still happens. Next I read that perhaps
higher rsize and wsize arguments could cause this, especially due to bad
network equipment, so I went ahead and tried rsize/wsize=1024 instead of
4096, no dice.

Finally I was mounting the shares as "sync,soft" which could be bad for
email, so I changed that to "sync,hard,intr", but still no dice. These
errors don't seem major, but I'd like to get them fixed. Users
occasionally see a error on their mail clients when connecting to IMAP.

/etc/exports on the server:
/home 192.168.18.1(rw,sync,no_root_squash)
192.168.19.1/24(rw,sync,root_squash)

/etc/fstab on the client:
192.168.18.2:/home /home nfs
rw,sync,auto,hard,intr,rsize=1024,wsize=1024,timeo =14 0 0

Any suggestions? It's been a while since I've done anything major over
NFS, so I'm sure I'm a bit rusty. If it helps the client server is
Ubuntu Dapper Server (6.04) and the server is Ubuntu Hardy Server
(8.04). Neither server get's very loaded... no errors on the network
devices via ifconfig, etc.

Thanks!
Nick