Old 06-06-2008, 04:27 PM
"James Dinkel"

Default RFC: Centrilized managment console

You should check out Augeas ( http://augeas.net/index.html ). It is
exactly what you all are talking about: a management framework, and
not a gui in itself but provides a framework that gui (web, ncurses,
etc) frontends could be built upon.

This is part of the RedHat Emerging Technologies Project, which just
looks brlliant to me. They are coming up with some real professional
looking projects, and doing them right. Ubuntu (and the whole linux
server community) would benefit greatly from collaborating on this.

James

Old 06-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Neal McBurnett

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 11:27:00AM -0500, James Dinkel wrote:
> You should check out Augeas ( http://augeas.net/index.html ). It is
> exactly what you all are talking about: a management framework, and
> not a gui in itself but provides a framework that gui (web, ncurses,
> etc) frontends could be built upon.
>
> This is part of the RedHat Emerging Technologies Project, which just
> looks brlliant to me. They are coming up with some real professional
> looking projects, and doing them right. Ubuntu (and the whole linux
> server community) would benefit greatly from collaborating on this.

Email discussions are fun and easy, but often hard to summarize and
build on. Blueprints on the wiki are the best place to document some
of the thinking in ways that can be more helpful.

I've started adding some links to the blueprint in the comments section:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuCentralizedServiceAdministrator

including a link to Brian J. Murrell's encuring insights from 2003 on
higher-level interfaces:
http://www.mail-archive.com/cooker@linux-mandrake.com/msg107191.html

Please feel free to chime in there also....

Neal McBurnett http://mcburnett.org/neal/