Old 05-16-2008, 09:40 AM
Loc Minier

Default Marquee panel supports theme update at runtime

On Fri, May 16, 2008, Li, Horace wrote:
> I worked out a patch to hildon-desktop 2.0.11, to support marquee
> panel theme update at runtime. The patch will read what is set in
> gconf key /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme, apply the theme and then
> monitor any changes of /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme at runtime.

I wonder why Gtk+ xsettings watch on the theme setting doesn't work
with hildon-desktop: gtk apps shouldn't have to listen to the gconf key
changes.

--
Loc Minier

Old 05-19-2008, 03:30 AM
"Li, Horace"

Hi, Lool,

You are right, it should not.

Hildon-desktop theme update at runtime is working fine without listening to gconf key changes. Hildon-desktop only listens to gconf key change to update the cached-theme, which is ~/.gtkrc-2.0. The main purpose to update the cache is while updating theme of hildon-desktop at runtime is working fine, it will not keep the change, and fall back to Default theme setting everytime when X is restarted or system is rebooted. With cached-theme updated, new theme setting could be saved and re-applied.

There might be better way to handle the situation. If so, please share with me.

Thanks,
Horace

> I worked out a patch to hildon-desktop 2.0.11, to support marquee
> panel theme update at runtime. The patch will read what is set in
> gconf key /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme, apply the theme and then
> monitor any changes of /desktop/gnome/interface/gtk_theme at runtime.

I wonder why Gtk+ xsettings watch on the theme setting doesn't work
with hildon-desktop: gtk apps shouldn't have to listen to the gconf key
changes.

--
Loïc Minier

Old 05-21-2008, 07:45 AM
Loc Minier

On Mon, May 19, 2008, Li, Horace wrote:
> Hildon-desktop theme update at runtime is working fine without
> listening to gconf key changes. Hildon-desktop only listens to gconf
> key change to update the cached-theme, which is ~/.gtkrc-2.0. The main
> purpose to update the cache is while updating theme of hildon-desktop
> at runtime is working fine, it will not keep the change, and fall back
> to Default theme setting everytime when X is restarted or system is
> rebooted. With cached-theme updated, new theme setting could be saved
> and re-applied.

You're saying that if you change the gconf key, everything works but
there's no persistence. However gconf is supposed to have persistence:
gconfd should write in ~/.gconf and save your settings there.

So what's not working here? What if you remove the ~/.gtkrc-2.0
completely? Do you see that the theme is saved in the ~/.gconf
properly?

--
Loc Minier

Old 05-21-2008, 02:48 PM
"Li, Horace"

Hi, Loïc,

Thanks for the information. I verified the gconf key change again this afternoon, and gconf key does have persistence. And even removing cached theme ~/.gtkrc-2.0, new selected theme could be applied when system is rebooted.

So it is not necessary to monitor gconf key changes in hildon-desktop, I will update the patch and send it out later.

I am almost done working out theme update support, with another bug #225238 fixed. Hope new patch could be sent out soon. :-)

Regards,
Horace

Old 05-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Loc Minier

On Wed, May 21, 2008, Li, Horace wrote:
> Thanks for the information. I verified the gconf key change again this
> afternoon, and gconf key does have persistence. And even removing
> cached theme ~/.gtkrc-2.0, new selected theme could be applied when
> system is rebooted.
> So it is not necessary to monitor gconf key changes in hildon-desktop,
> I will update the patch and send it out later.

Good news; will make your patch much shorter.

> I am almost done working out theme update support, with another bug
> #225238 fixed. Hope new patch could be sent out soon. :-)

Cool

--
Loc Minier