Old 05-12-2008, 12:22 PM
Paul Shirey

Default Dual Boot on Windows Mobile device

We all know that dual boot setups are possible on a pc. But would it be
possible on a Windows Moblile device?

Old 05-12-2008, 01:13 PM
"Emmet Hikory"

Paul Shirey wrote:
> We all know that dual boot setups are possible on a pc. But would it be
> possible on a Windows Moblile device?

It very much depends on the device hardware. A fair number of
existing models support some form of alternate booting, either
directly from some physical device, or through an application that
replaces the currently-running operating system with that from a
physical device or selected file.

The majority of current devices supported by Ubuntu Mobile fall
into the first category, and allow booting from alternate physical
devices (most commonly USB keys, as used in testing) (the few
exceptions may be very old slate or tablet devices with hardcoded boot
restrictions, but most of those allowed alternate boot devices by
swapping PCMCIA cards for the OS load, and further typically didn't
have sufficient processing power or memory to support Ubuntu Mobile
very well).

--
Emmet HIKORY

Old 05-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Tobin Davis

It is entirely possible, if the hardware is sufficient enough to support dual booting.* There are a lot of devices that are targeted for the low cost market, and to meet that, they incorporate a small SSD for data storage (4-16G).** Systems like the Eee PC from Asus are capable of running both Windows and Linux, but not from the same drive due to space.* It is possible to install Linux on a USB Drive and run it "Live" from USB, and use the SSD for XP.

We all know that dual boot setups are possible on a pc. But would it be
possible on a Windows Moblile device?

--
Tobin Davis

NT (as in Windows NT) is short for "Not Trustworthy".

Old 05-12-2008, 11:58 PM
"Kwon, Owen"

If you are talking about ARM based device, I think it would be possible
by modifying bootloader slightly because each OS uses predefined part of
Flash storage usually. However, is there any lisence issue with MS in
that case?

Thanks,
Owen

Old 05-14-2008, 12:28 AM
Pau Oliva

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 07:22 -0500, Paul Shirey wrote:
> We all know that dual boot setups are possible on a pc. But would it be
> possible on a Windows Moblile device?

Generally you use GNU Haret for that:

http://handhelds.org/~koconnor/haret/
http://handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/HaRET

There are a lot of windows mobile devices that can already boot linux,
see HTC Universal, Athena or Vogue to mention a few.

Cheers,

Pau Oliva