Old 04-14-2008, 03:30 AM
Dustin Spicuzza

Default How to change desktop look?

Hey,

So I can't figure out how to add new applets or remove old applets from
the hildon-desktop display. While it looks very nice (see
http://www.virtualroadside.com/blog/index.php/2008/04/05/ubuntu-mobile-screenshot-on-my-carputer/
for screenshot), I don't really need the non-working apps, since they
don't work. And, I would love to add my GPS application (which is
finally *almost* ready to be used with a touchscreen, thanks to hildon
support in wxWidgets) to the desktop... but can't figure that out. I get
to a deadend when I get to /usr/share/applications/hildon-home ... which
points to a library. Thanks!

Dustin

--
Innovation is just a problem away

Old 04-14-2008, 06:48 PM
"Spencer, Bob"

Nice screen shot.

Assuming you have a fairly recent drop of UME, new applications (like
your GPS app) should:
1) install a .desktop file into /usr/share/applications
2) install an icon into /usr/share/icons/hicolor/<size>/<type>
(e.g. /usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps/mygps.png)

If #1 is done correctly, the app should show up in the UI.
If #1 and #2 are done, it will also have the right icon

Hope that helps for what you're trying to do. As for playing MP3's
(from your blog), what errors are you facing? The songs needs to go
into ~/media/audio. MP3's should work fine. Are they showing up in the
UI and not playing, or not showing up at all?

Bob

Old 04-15-2008, 05:36 AM
Dustin Spicuzza

Spencer, Bob wrote:
> Nice screen shot.

Thanks, I'm definitely excited about using UME in my car. Love the
touchscreen-friendly interface.
> Assuming you have a fairly recent drop of UME, new applications (like
> your GPS app) should:
> 1) install a .desktop file into /usr/share/applications
> 2) install an icon into /usr/share/icons/hicolor/<size>/<type>
> (e.g. /usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps/mygps.png)
>
> If #1 is done correctly, the app should show up in the UI.
> If #1 and #2 are done, it will also have the right icon

Ok... now, looking at /usr/share/applications , there are a million
different things there. Now, for example, on my desktop, there is an
icon labeled "Instant Messenger". So, I execute the following in that
directory:

grep -R "Instant Messenger" *

No results. I have noticed the presence of hildon related directories
however...

$ ls | grep hildon
hildon-control-panel
hildon-control-panel.desktop
hildon-home
hildon-marquee
hildon-navigator
hildon-status-bar

Now, I also have "galculator" on my desktop... so I make a copy of the
galculator.desktop in /usr/share/applications, and change the "Name" to
Galculator II, and name the file galculatorII.desktop. Restart the
desktop... no results. So.. I was thinking that /usr/share/applications
had something to do with it, but it seems that there is more than meets
the eye here.

There are also .desktop files in /etc/hildon-desktop ... however,
following their contents to wherever always seem to inevitably point to
some .so files, which is leading me to believe that its hardcoded
somewhere. So..... any good thoughts?

Before going too much further, I should point out that since I'm running
this on what is (for all practical purposes) a normal PC, I have the UME
stuff installed side-by-side with ubuntu-desktop (I have GDM launch the
desktop for me with autologin enabled). I can't imagine that makes too
much of a difference, but I also realize that its not really supported
too...

Once this gets solved.. we're definitely going to need to put it into
the UME Wiki somewhere.
> Hope that helps for what you're trying to do. As for playing MP3's
> (from your blog), what errors are you facing? The songs needs to go
> into ~/media/audio.
Yep. It shows up in the UI, but complains about mp3 files in particular.
I installed the "normal" mp3 stuff... however, that didn't fix that
error. I haven't really looked into fixing this in any serious way yet
however, since I'm working on getting roadnav to look/work nicely in
UME. It may be related to having ubuntu-mobile installed side-by-side
with ubuntu-desktop too.. not sure.

Thanks!

Dustin

--
Innovation is just a problem away

Old 04-15-2008, 04:39 PM
"Spencer, Bob"

Check in /usr/share/mobile-basic-flash/applications

If there are more than 1 .desktop file, then this is where you should
place your .desktop file for it to show up on the home screen. The
icons would go into /usr/share/mobile-basic-flash/icons

We are trying to get this updated as it was the old mechanism, but I
don't know the status of that update.

The MP3 problem may be due to a missing gstreamer codec? But I assume
that you can play mp3's with mplayer already... Hm. -- not sure.
Bob

Old 04-15-2008, 04:52 PM
Dustin Spicuzza

Spencer, Bob wrote:
> Check in /usr/share/mobile-basic-flash/applications
>
> If there are more than 1 .desktop file, then this is where you should
> place your .desktop file for it to show up on the home screen. The
> icons would go into /usr/share/mobile-basic-flash/icons

AH-HA! There be the slimy buggers.... awesome, thanks.
> We are trying to get this updated as it was the old mechanism, but I
> don't know the status of that update.

Ok... well, maybe later I'll add some quick page/note to the Wiki
anyways, since anyone who is trying to utilize UME as I am would
probably be interested in that information (with a note that its going
to change at some point). Though... once I get the system working with
all the features I need, then I'm going to wipe the system and start
from scratch, and write a carputer-focused UME howto and update the
carputer section of my website with it.
> The MP3 problem may be due to a missing gstreamer codec? But I assume
> that you can play mp3's with mplayer already... Hm. -- not sure.
> Bob

Yeah... as I said, I haven't put a whole lot of effort into that, since
I don't actually have any speakers or anything setup on the carputer in
its current position under my desk, so I haven't tried to play it via
mplayer or anything else.

Dustin

--
Innovation is just a problem away.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:06 PM
"Ian Lawrence"

Hi,
> Once this gets solved.. we're definitely going to need to put it into
> the UME Wiki somewhere.
i think this would be very helpful indeed. Perhaps you could write
something up on

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UMEGuide/ApplicationDevelopment/

if you get it working

Regards
ian
--
http://ianlawrence.info

Old 04-17-2008, 03:11 AM
Dustin Spicuzza

Hey,

I did add something, but not there... it didn't really seem like an
appropriate place. It probably should go in some sort of users guide,
but I can't create pages on the help site, so I added a note to
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UMEGuide/HowTos , despite being
totally out of place there.

Dustin

--
Innovation is just a problem away

Old 04-17-2008, 02:25 PM
"Ian Lawrence"

Hi
> I did add something, but not there... it didn't really seem like an
> appropriate place. It probably should go in some sort of users guide, but I
> can't create pages on the help site, so I added a note to
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UMEGuide/HowTos , despite being totally

It is possible to create a new page!. This is maybe not so intuitive
and has tripped people up before so I made a short guide to explain
this process
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UMEGuide/AddNewPage

I also moved your note to:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UMEGuide/ApplicationDevelopment/AddingIconToDesktop