-   Ubuntu Mobile and Embedded (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-mobile-embedded/)
-   -   Java development (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-mobile-embedded/66758-java-development.html)

"Beno, Tal" 04-09-2008 11:27 AM

Java development

Hello all,

I am very new to Ubuntu Mobile and was just recently going over the available documentation and work in progress.
I read that Java should be supported but couldn't find any mention of it concerning apps development and UI. For instance I have seen Hildon for C and Python and a comment about Flash being TBD, but no Java.

I am interested to understand the validity of Java development for UME and the current available tools. Can someone shed some light over this matter please?
On a slightly different issue, is there any plan to allow Android (Java based) applications to run on Ubunto Mobile?

Thanks,
Tal

"Spencer, Bob" 04-14-2008 07:00 PM

Java development

Java can be installed in UME and Java applications can be run inside UME
though we haven't outlined a nice way to get the Java menus to be
integrated into the top marquee drop-down menu. I think this is just a
matter of someone creating a JNI interface to the Hildon libraries to
register the menu items and a callback. I'd like to see this happen to
open up to Java and help them look somewhat integrated in the UI.
Volunteers?

As for Andriod, the jury is still out but I hope it happens.

Bob

"Beno, Tal" 06-02-2008 07:49 AM

Java development

Hi,

What Java distribution will work on UME (J2SE/J2ME)? Are there UI extensions that I should work with to make it like Hildon or based on it? Any extensions concerning the touch screen functionality?
I am a n00b so I might be asking the wrong questions ... all I want to do is understand where to start when considering the development of a Java application under UME.

Thanks,
Tal

"Spencer, Bob" 06-02-2008 09:03 PM

Java development

I've successfully installed sun-java5-jre on the latest Hardy-PPA image.
It seems to work fine with my one test of a game I downloaded. I
haven't gotten around to writing an interface to put Java (or QT or
Flash) menu items in the drop-down list so that it looks integrated into
the system and I don't know of any finger-scrolling enhancements for
Java apps.

For now if you make the application not have any menu and put your
toolbar at the bottom it should tie into the general layout OK.

Good luck!

Bob