Old 02-05-2008, 02:51 AM
"Kwon, Owen"

Default Question on Ubuntu Installation to Menlow

Hello,

¬*

Could I install Ubuntu 7.10 to Menlow CEB?

I tried, but I cannot boot graphically because of Graphics
driver.

With 7.04, I can see live CD desktop by ‚Äúsafe mode‚ÄĚ,
but cannot edit partition.

With 7.10, I cannot see GUI screen. There is a warning at
the monitor, ‚ÄúCannot display this video mode‚ÄĚ.

¬*

Thanks,

Owen

¬*

Old 02-05-2008, 06:52 AM
Peter Antoniac

On Tuesday 05 February 2008 05:51:28 Kwon, Owen wrote:
> Could I install Ubuntu 7.10 to Menlow CEB?
>
> I tried, but I cannot boot graphically because of Graphics driver.
>
> With 7.04, I can see live CD desktop by "safe mode", but cannot edit
> partition.
>
> With 7.10, I cannot see GUI screen. There is a warning at the monitor,
> "Cannot display this video mode".

I guess you need the UME kernel with poulsbo support and the X also with
poulsbo.

Install linux-ume, xserver-xorg-video-psb

Cheers,
Peter
--
Peter Antoniac, PhD
https://launchpad.net/~theseinfeld

Old 02-06-2008, 01:51 AM
"Kwon, Owen"

Thank you for your reply.

But the installer itself is GUI and I cannot launch install application.
Could I install Ubuntu from the command line of live CD?

I'd like to install Ubuntu desktop version to show my Menlow customer
all the choices they have.

Thanks,
Owen

Old 02-06-2008, 06:51 AM
Peter Antoniac

> Thank you for your reply.
>
> But the installer itself is GUI and I cannot launch install application.
> Could I install Ubuntu from the command line of live CD?
>
> I'd like to install Ubuntu desktop version to show my Menlow customer
> all the choices they have.

Well, in that case, I think it is better to install it with command line then
add the required packages (ubuntu-desktop/kubuntu-/etc/). You can always use
the CTRL+ALT+F1 to get back to text console. I remember also seeing some ume
cd image:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/moblin/

Check it out... You can later install all the flavors of packages for the eye
candy

Cheers,
Peter

Old 02-06-2008, 07:10 AM
"Kwon, Owen"

Thanks you.
I found another way. There was Ubuntu alternative CD that just installs
text utilities. Though I have not tried this yet, but I hope this will
work.

Thanks,
Owen