Old 10-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Brett

Default BeagleBoard xM freezes while attempting to boot 10.10

Hi,
Please let me know if I have sent this to the wrong Ubuntu list.

Today I installed Maverick on a BeagleBoard xM-A2, following the instructions here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/OMAPMaverickInstall

Since I am don't have a monitor with DVI-in, I adjusted the bootargs, as per:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/BeagleEditBootscr

This was done by following:

Strip the 72byte long uboot header:
dd if=boot.scr of=boot.script bs=1 skip=72

Open the file in an editor and edit the "setenv bootargs" line to add/remove bootoptions:
setenv bootargs vram=12M console=ttyS2,115200n8 serialtty=ttyS2 omapfb.mode=tval root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 fixrtc

/usr/bin/mkimage -A arm -T script -C none -n "Ubuntu boot script" -d boot.script boot.scr #done as root on my fedora desktop

Then copied the newly created boot.scr file on my SD card replacing the existing one.

But when I tried to boot, with s-video connected to my pal-format tv, and with only the 5volt power and serial port connected. Both ways it freezes after minicom has displayed the following:

1. First attempt with svideo connected:

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
/dev/mmcblk0p2: clean, 118171/446832 files, 533063/949843 blocks
* Starting AppArmor profiles Skipping profile in /etc/apparmor.d/disable: usr.bix
[ OK ]
[ OK ]ting sensors limits
speech-dispatcher disabled; edit /etc/default/speech-dispatcher
* PulseAudio configured for per-user sessions
saned disabled; edit /etc/default/saned
[ OK ]bling additional executable binary formats binfmt-support
fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
/dev/mmcblk0p2: clean, 118171/446832 files, 533063/949843 blocks
* Starting AppArmor profiles Skipping profile in /etc/apparmor.d/disable: usr.bix
[ OK ]
[ OK ]ting sensors limits
speech-dispatcher disabled; edit /etc/default/speech-dispatcher
* PulseAudio configured for per-user sessions
saned disabled; edit /etc/default/saned
[ OK ]bling additional executable binary formats binfmt-support

2nd attempt with only serial and power connected:

Load Address: 00000000
Entry Point: 00000000
Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.
fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
/dev/mmcblk0p2: Superblock last write time is in the future.
(by less than a day, probably due to the hardware clock being incorrectly set). .
/dev/mmcblk0p2: clean, 118289/446832 files, 534032/949843 blocks
[...]

I also tried copying over the MLO and u-boot.bin from Angstrom image (the sd card that is shipped with beagle xm), which was suggested on a beagle howto site, but same freezing point was reached.

Open to suggestions to get this to boot! I have previously been able to boot and use the demo Angstrom iamge that came with the beagle, and minimal Ubuntu 10.10 from http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu#Maverick_10.10_2

Brett.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Tobin Davis

On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 20:11 +1000, Brett wrote:
> [...]
> /dev/mmcblk0p2: clean, 118289/446832 files, 534032/949843 blocks
> * Starting AppArmor profiles Skipping profile in /etc/apparmor.d/disable: usr.bix
> [ OK ]
> [ OK ]ting sensors limits
> speech-dispatcher disabled; edit /etc/default/speech-dispatcher
> * PulseAudio configured for per-user sessions
> saned disabled; edit /etc/default/saned
> [ OK ]bling additional executable binary formats binfmt-support
>

> I also tried copying over the MLO and u-boot.bin from Angstrom image (the sd card that is shipped with beagle xm), which was suggested on a beagle howto site, but same freezing point was reached.
>
> Open to suggestions to get this to boot! I have previously been able to boot and use the demo Angstrom iamge that came with the beagle, and minimal Ubuntu 10.10 from http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu#Maverick_10.10_2

Please file a bug on launchpad.net with the tag "armel" and subscribe
"ubuntu-armel-porters". This way, we can better track the issue.

Thanks,

--
Tobin Davis

As of next week, passwords will be entered in Morse code.