Old 09-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Stefan Bader

Default Retirement of fsl-imx51 in Karmic

On 09/22/2010 01:20 PM, Loc Minier wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010, Stefan Bader wrote:
>>> I hope I got the relevant people included... I am writing this in preparation to
>>> remove the fsl-imx51 topic branch from the actively supported topic branches in
>>> Karmic.
>>>
>>> Why? This branch has seriously fallen into unmaintained already. When asking
>>> around we usually have no hardware to test and I am being told that there are no
>>> projects which use this.
>>> Additionally we had this bricking issue with 3.0 babbage boards (or was that
>>> 2.5?) which only was fixed in Lucid code. So we either need to replace the
>>> Karmic code with the Lucid patches or should drop it. And I don't see much use
>>> in doing that work if nobody really cares.
>>>
>>> So if anybody *does* care, speak now.
>>>
>>> -Stefan
>>>

>> And so it was done. The final tip has been archived as fsl-imx51-mothball tag.
>
> that was quite quick
>
> I don't particularly care for the fate of karmic imx51 support, but
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KarmicKoala/ReleaseManifest said Ubuntu Desktop
> on imx51 would be supported for 18 months. You might want to get
> David's input on how much he cares for imx51 before killing it.

Well this is more or less just finalizes what is fact for quite a while now. Any
new patches are made against the Lucid version and if at all it requires poking
people hardly to find out what to do about the Karmic version. It only is a pita
to drag along with every security update.
No one tests Karmic or if people need to completely replace installations on
their boards, causing more lag until a test could be done.

> You mention some bricking issue, I heard some people mention this; I
> understand that some intermediate development kernel bricked these
> boards permanently. This was certainly post karmic since the
> problematic kernels were working on Babbage 3.0 boards and these were
> just coming out back in these days; some 2.5 boards got bricked.

Yes, testing one of the security updates for fsl-imx51 on Lucid caused several
boards to be hard bricked. There was a fix for Lucid but this cannot be applied
to Karmic as the patches on top of 2.6.31 are too different.
I had been asking about Karmic for a long time and I never got feedback. I have
not done any security updates for Karmic fsl-imx51 since then as I could not be
sure the Karmic version might not brick boards and nobody cared.

So I just officially declared that corpse that is called fsl-imx51 in Karmic
dead. It has been rotting long enough now. Surely David could tell me otherwise
but then we need a plan an some man power on the Arm side to bring this into
shape. I cannot honestly call the current state of the repo supported without
getting red and growing a long nose.

-Stefan